New Bear Grizzly thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bear Grizzly thoughts

I'm currently shooting an older Bear Grizzly - 45# @ 28". With my draw, I'm only pulling about 42#, which should be plenty for whitetail. I'm pulling this very comfortably. I'm looking at moving up to at least a 55# bow after this season. While at Canelas this weekend, I saw a new Grizzly on sale for $349. I've never shot anything else, but I do like the one I have, and shoot it well.

That being said, what are y'alls thoughts on the newer Bear bows? We only have one shop in town that has some other bows on consignment, and they usually aren't custom bows or anything. I'd like a chance to shoot some of the other customs out there, but wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks for any feedback and advice.

Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never shot a bear bow , but I hear they are nice for such a low price bow. I am hoping my wife allows me to upgrade my bow and equipment for the next season. Personally I prefer the feel of a hoyt over the other bow brands, feels better in the hand. Go to a bow show and shoot a few different types.

Comment

I never was overly impressed with the Grizzly. It is a middle of the pack bow, neither bad or exceptional. I prefer a used Howatt X-200 over the Grizzly and they can be found for about $100-$125 in little used condition. If you truly intend to move up to 55lbs, there are dozens of used customs sitting in the classifieds gathering dust. Anything over fifty pounds or so takes quite while to sell. For your budget you can move into a quality used three piece bow, if you shop in the mid fifty pound range. Drop down ten pounds and it is whole new ballgame.

Comment

I have not shot any of the new Bear bows, so can't really address that question. Just wanted to add that 10# up in draw weight in one jump is a pretty huge step. Find a bow to try out for a couple weeks in the 55# range before just going out and buying one to make sure you can handle it well. You need to give it a while to see if you can truly handle the weight. It might feel fine at first, but after shooting it every day for a while is when it will show up that you are overbowed. If not, you may want to get a 50# bow to shoot for a while, then move up again once you are comfortable with that.

Good luck with it!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I kind of been wondering similar things - used to shoot Bear Kodiak Hunter - loved it but went to a 55 from a 45XX - beat me up and that was a long time ago - I was younger then...loved the Bear Hunter Kodiaks but they shot off a flat shelf if I remember right - and the newer ones all have a radiused shelf - I think - I like that - shooting a Satori with 45# limbs cranked down - about 49# by my scale - after 2-3 months (been out of trad for quite awhile) am very pleased with the way it seems to be coming together - and the Grizzly is a wonderful no nonsense beautiful (especially from what I have seen recently) bow - my 2 cents - JB

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna keep shooting the one I have until I stumble across a 50# that feels right. I still need to kill something with this one. Not being in a target rich environment makes that a little tough.

Thanks,
            Skooter

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
              Thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna keep shooting the one I have until I stumble across a 50# that feels right. I still need to kill something with this one. Not being in a target rich environment makes that a little tough.

Thanks,
              Skooter

I know nothing about the bear bows either, but regarding the weight increase, I'd bet you'd be more happy with a bow closer to the 50# mark. I remember going from 40 to 50 and it wasn't a walk in the park. Even now, I shoot 48# and when I try a 52# bow, I notice it pretty quick after a few shots. Definitely shoot as heavy as you can accurately (like Bisch always says) but getting there in smaller steps is often times better than one giant leap.

Comment

I have a vintage bear grizzly that's 45# , fun shooting bow, lightweight, id try to find a used grizzly before a new one, you can find one for much cheaper buying used

Comment

Question - is it reasonable to take a flat shelf bow loke the aforementioned Grizzly (any brand) and have it tooled or converted to a radiused shelf like the newer Bear bows are - how does that impact tiller etc - thanks
                  If this is out of line my apologies - not trying to hijack your thread

Comment

All the ones I've looked at online that are used are more expensive than the new ones. Not what I would have thought, but it appears that way.

Comment

Isn't a new Grizzly about $400 - I am shocked you can't find one for less - keep looking you will find the one you want at your price - have you checked ebay etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jbgoodstok View Post
                        Question - is it reasonable to take a flat shelf bow loke the aforementioned Grizzly (any brand) and have it tooled or converted to a radiused shelf like the newer Bear bows are - how does that impact tiller etc - thanks
                        If this is out of line my apologies - not trying to hijack your thread

not all bear bows had a flat shelf, I own about 10 of them. I only have one that is a flat shelf, all of my bows are the mid 70s to 80s with one Kodiak Hunter that is a 69. You can radius the shelf without altering tiller. The majority of the material being removed is going to be the front and back, it can be done with a file.

Comment

Thanks Greyman - nice to know

Comment

Working...
                          X