2018 elk hunt, looking for a good outfitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im ready to let go of a little money and want to go on my first elk hunt next fall. currently im building points in wyoming. states of interest are wyoming, montana, new mexico and colorado. $5k is my "desired" max. i know landowner tag hunts can push it up to $10k+. ive seen some hunts for as low as $2k but that makes me a little leary when it gets that cheap. any bull 300" or better is my goal. ideally bow, but will consider rifle hunt. ive ready over the "elk" thread and numerous other threads on tbh and other sights. any tbh have any experiences, recommendations they are willing to share? i consider myself an experienced mule deer and antelope hunter but the elk thing is all new to me. i just don't have the time to devote to several years of diy trial and error otc hunting.

Last year I went with Folsom Outfitters in New Mexico. That was my second elk hunt ever. I'd go back with Kyle but its a little more than I want to spend again. If you search Folsom on here you'll see a few past hunts from tbh's that had successful hunts. Sitting out this year, but for 2018 I am putting in the Gila draw with Graybow here on tbh. He owns Wilderness Outfitters. http://wildernessoutfitterselkbearhunts.weebly.com/

Comment

Give Thunder Ridge Outfitters a call in Wyoming. Great people and they kill some amazing bulls and mostly public lands hunts. I know them very well. Hunted with them in for Archery elk in 2014 and we were in 300 elk every day. Ended up killing a nice 5X6. Randy is the owner, here is his cell. 1 (307) 259-7448

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are in your price range and tell them Jeff sent you.

Comment

This is completely from my research and I am sure I am missing some outfitters.

I would say that going somewhere that you don't have to draw a tag, and a real shot at a 300" bull for $5000 is gonna be tough. I def wouldn't do public land guided expecting a 300" bull unless its New Mexico or a unit that takes a few points to draw in.

There are some places in Colorado for under $5000.00 but most of those are southern and most bulls will be 260-300"

New Mexico is your best bet but will still be pushing your budget if you draw a good unit. Guides out there know what units are the best and they charge depending on that. I drew a Gila Tag this year in the guide draw. The tag cost me 800$ and the "Semi DIY guide hunt" cost me $1200.00 They literally just show up and shake my hand twice. So its not a guided hunt. But its a $2000.00 Gila hunt.

If you had 3-4 points in Wyoming thats where I would be looking. Those wilderness hunts with a guide are reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            This is completely from my research and I am sure I am missing some outfitters.

I would say that going somewhere that you don't have to draw a tag, and a real shot at a 300" bull for $5000 is gonna be tough. I def wouldn't do public land guided expecting a 300" bull unless its New Mexico or a unit that takes a few points to draw in.

There are some places in Colorado for under $5000.00 but most of those are southern and most bulls will be 260-300"

New Mexico is your best bet but will still be pushing your budget if you draw a good unit. Guides out there know what units are the best and they charge depending on that. I drew a Gila Tag this year in the guide draw. The tag cost me 800$ and the "Semi DIY guide hunt" cost me $1200.00 They literally just show up and shake my hand twice. So its not a guided hunt. But its a $2000.00 Gila hunt.

If you had 3-4 points in Wyoming thats where I would be looking. Those wilderness hunts with a guide are reasonable.

That's why I put in for the draw in N.M. through a guide service. Like the op said the tags are 8-12k if you just buy one plus guide (or 13-18k total). Wait until drawn and the whole hunt should be around 6k.

Comment

Personally I would not stick to that 300" bull thing if it is your first elk hunt. Shoot the first one you can that you think "looks good". To me a 230-260" bull will make a nice trophy too. I think over 300 is a very big elk for most people, let alone a first timer. Maybe if you are rifle hunting you can afford to be more picky. Heck, after eating it I probably should have shot the spike or calf I had in bow range.

I had a good hunt with Top Notch Outfitters. I drew the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                Personally I would not stick to that 300" bull thing if it is your first elk hunt. Shoot the first one you can that you think "looks good". To me a 230-260" bull will make a nice trophy too. I think over 300 is a very big elk for most people, let alone a first timer. Maybe if you are rifle hunting you can afford to be more picky. Heck, after eating it I probably should have shot the spike or calf I had in bow range.

I had a good hunt with Top Notch Outfitters. I drew the tag.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=kdog
                Ive decided the first good solid 6pt or big 5pt that I get a shot at will get a arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  Ive decided the first good solid 6pt or big 5pt that I get a shot at will get a arrow.
                  Wise decision. I got my bull back from the taxidermist and scored him around at 225. I have never scored an elk before, so I may have under measured?? My guidetold me he was bigger than that, but I don't really care. I killed a bull elk with my bow.

Comment

i know 300" is just a number, with my bow anything remotely close will get an arrow. rifle i would raise my standards. thanks for the info. im going to look into those contacts

Comment

Originally posted by hunt4meat View Post
                      Give Thunder Ridge Outfitters a call in Wyoming. Great people and they kill some amazing bulls and mostly public lands hunts. I know them very well. Hunted with them in for Archery elk in 2014 and we were in 300 elk every day. Ended up killing a nice 5X6. Randy is the owner, here is his cell. 1 (307) 259-7448

do you recall what unit/area that was?

Comment

I'm hunting the Gila this year with Big Horn Outfitters. Looking forward to my first elk hunt. I'm not even sure how to determine what size bull I'd shoot considering I've never been that close before to one. I can't wait to hear that first bugle.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                          do you recall what unit/area that was?

Area 19. Might not be as popular as some of the others but it's one hell of a hunt.

I believe this is the same unit the Born and Raised Outdoors guys hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by zcole04 View Post
                            I'm hunting the Gila this year with Big Horn Outfitters. Looking forward to my first elk hunt. I'm not even sure how to determine what size bull I'd shoot considering I've never been that close before to one. I can't wait to hear that first bugle.
                            I would say to shoot the first one that looks good and that you will be proud of. A 300 inch bull is pretty big. I think comparable to a 150/160 inch whitetail. I listen to a lot of western hunting podcasts. I don't remember which one but one of the guys had killed 20+ bulls and hadn't killed a 6 point yet. Unguided and on public land, but still gives you an idea that they aren't under every rock.
                            NM or AZ are probably your best bet at a monster bull. But they take lots of points (AZ) or luck to draw the tags. Hoping I get lucky one of these days.

I haven't killed a bull yet but have decided that I likely won't pass up a legal bull (DIY). Any elk would be a trophy to me at this point. But I'd also sure like to get a big un!

Comment

Originally posted by zcole04 View Post
                              Being so difficult to draw a trophy unit I would work toward the largest you can spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X