Quickest kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickest kill

Recently I have been researching broadheads and through different reviews and what I have seen on here it made me wonder what leads to a quicker kill/shorter tracking job. My question is which of the following scenarios leads to a quicker kill/shorter tracking job or is there no correlation and its just luck of the draw each time. Pretend that a great shot was made through both lungs. Main reason behind this question is I am hunting an 18acre plot of woods and would like anything shot to stay within the area.

Scenario A: Complete pass through with a fixed blade broadhead.

Scenario B: Partial penetration with mechanical blades.

I don't visit the site as much as I use to so if this conversation has already occurred please direct me to that thread. I know how some people get when there are repeat threads.

You want a quick kill take a quartering away shot. A hole in the diaphragm then through the lungs will put them down quick. Breathing is extremely difficult or near impossible with a damaged diaphragm. Fixed blade or mech. Dont matter.

Comment

Quickest kill

It’s mostly luck coupled with good shot placement. I just shot a deer that was back and high but due to him ducking and turning to run it hit him good at a forward angle and he dies with in 10 yards, he hit a cedar bush and lost all momentum. Expired in 30 seconds tops.

Same weekend my brother shot a deer, great shot placement through one shoulder and buried in the opposite. Tracked the deer for hundreds of yards and never found. Shot placement was captured on video. Lived for hours and may still be alive.

Both of these were with mechanicals although different brands.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        You want a quick kill take a quartering away shot. A hole in the diaphragm then through the lungs will put them down quick. Breathing is extremely difficult or near impossible with a damaged diaphragm. Fixed blade or mech. Dont matter.
        This!!!! Quartering way is the way to go. If a deer is not breathing then he is not going far. I use Slick Trick broad heads and have never had a problem as long as I make a good shot. They require very little to no broad head tuning. And they are bulletproof! Have reused a number of them after resharpening.
        Anyhow quartering away and double lung is the way to hunt.

Comment

The last doe that I shot was a double lung pass through with a muzzy. She jumped and then walked to the tree line as if she didn't know what happened. She fell over within a minute.

Comment

I also have small acrage and worry about this. But when a quatering away well placed shot is made they simply dont go far. Last one had very little blood trail but still only went about 50yrd.
            Only deer Ive lost was all my fault with a bad shot.
            Not saying it cant happen, but so far if Ive done my job then the deer was recovered easily within my fenceline.

Comment

Fixed broadhead with 100%passthru shots thus far also fyi.

Comment

I've had 8 go down in sight and all were shot with Bear Razorheads thru both lungs with complete pass-throughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post
                  This!!!! Quartering way is the way to go. If a deer is not breathing then he is not going far. I use Slick Trick broad heads and have never had a problem as long as I make a good shot. They require very little to no broad head tuning. And they are bulletproof! Have reused a number of them after resharpening.

Anyhow quartering away and double lung is the way to hunt.

Your statement about them being bulletproof has me scratching my head. I have shot two animals with some viper tricks and both have been damaged either during the pass through or after. Has me really reconsidering the purchase. I’m not 100% sold on them yet although the performance on the critter has been good.

By all means let’s not make this a broad head thread but I’ve seen statements referring to how tough slick tricks are and I just don’t see it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Any deer shot thru both lungs will only go about 50yds before they run out of air. Fixed blade, mechanical, pass thru, dosent matter if you take out both lungs. On the other hand a heart shot deer will run until they run out of blood, usually 200 yds or so,

Comment

big two blade with a clean pass thru. I killed 11 one season with big Simmons Land Sharks and 10 fell in sight, the 11th made it around a corner and fell 70 yards away just out of sight.

Comment

I shoot a recurve and dont always get a pass through. I kinda like a half pass through. They run and that arrow bounces around all the while.ripping up vitals. Passthrough is not that important. Quartering away is the best

Comment

Same but the tracking job will be easier with a passthrough.

Comment

Shot a bunch with giant mechanicals and a bunch with fixed blades. Shoot at undisturbed deer and don’t hit large bones, are the only thing I’ve seen make a difference.

Shot a buck last year with a 2.3 rage extreme making a scrape. Took 3 jumps and started on auto pilot making a fake aerial scrape, and tipped over. Chopped 3 ribs in half on the entrance and could hear the lungs deflate.

Comment

I shot a little buck years back, double lung and heart, dropped dead as a door nail 20 feet away. Montec 125 grain on a XX75 2314, found arrow buried in the grass 40 yards back.

Comment

Working...
                              X