Advice on Finding a Company or Group to Lease an Awesome Ranch for Whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
    Nothing wrong with having trucks only, on the place I hunt driving a truck all over the ranch isn't an option. Your truck gets you to camp, you need something else the rest of the way. It is not like we do a lot of joy riding, just the normal stuff filling feeders for the most part. On the doe thing it still doesn't seem right to me. We didn't have a lot of doe when I first started hunting on this ranch. But as we poured on the feed we our recruitment started to go up. Even in a drought and in an area known for Anthrax. In the drought it was hard on the deer but we still had a fawn crop. So to me it sounds like the ranch is not being fed enough or there is something else causing your recruitment to be low. That being said my opinion means very little on that topic. But if I was looking to lease something, this seems like a red flag. That is all I am saying.

I think keeping the conversation going here is a good idea. There are several hunting Facebook groups that you might try advertising on if you are on Facebook.
    All I can tell you his ranches have great whitetail populations year in and year out for past 24 years even in drought years. He says deer rebound quicker from drought when does are left alone. And he’s got a great buck:doe ratio that’s probably around 1:1.5 or so. Keep in mind he’s only taking 25 bucks off 12,000 acres -when it’s hunted. Which it hasn’t been for over three years.. That’s almost nil.

Comment

Put it on leasehunter.com - my main concern would be the wording about limiting to 5-6 weekends - that hints to me that the rancher really prefers the place not be used much - otherwise sounds like a nice ranch

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
        Put it on leasehunter.com - my main concern would be the wording about limiting to 5-6 weekends - that hints to me that the rancher really prefers the place not be used much - otherwise sounds like a nice ranch
        That’s good advice. And you’re correct that just because my company only sent 5-6 trips per deer season doesn’t mean the leaser couldn’t use it more often than that.

Comment

Sounds awesome, wish I was in a position to lease it! Bump for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
            That’s good advice. And you’re correct that just because my company only sent 5-6 trips per deer season doesn’t mean the leaser couldn’t use it more often than that.
            That's certainly the way it sounds, and if I were looking for a lease, this is an immediate red flag and I would write this place off.

The right group is probably out there for you, but way too many rules and restrictions for my taste.

Comment

Good luck with finding a group. TBH was probably not the best place to post, as most on here will criticize your effort and question the owner about his management style, while having no intention of leasing.

I will PM you a contact that does corporate hunts and may be able to help.

Comment

Gotcha - misunderstood your post - I read it as the owner preferred that - good luck on leasing the place

Comment

The way I read it, if you have the requisite number of hunters that are allowed, you could take the 25 bucks that are allowed in five to six trips (long hunting weekends).

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                    The way I read it, if you have the requisite number of hunters that are allowed, you could take the 25 bucks that are allowed in five to six trips (long hunting weekends).
                    You’re spot on, sir. In fact we had issues scheduling 5 hunts because we easily harvested 4-6 big bucks each weekend and were near or at our quota after 4 sessions. And THAT was being discriminating and killing mostly very mature, heavy horned old bucks.

That’s the flip side / benefit of a very light harvest every year.

I understand folks wanting the privilege to use the place all 12 weeks the deer season is open. However, it’s moot if the quota has been achieved.

And at this price, your saving 50% of what the market is per acre with vastly superior success rates.

Comment

You’re spot on, sir. In fact we had issues scheduling 5 hunts because we easily harvested 4-6 big bucks each weekend and were near or at our quota after 4 sessions. And THAT was being discriminating and killing mostly very mature, heavy horned old bucks.

That’s the flip side / benefit of a very light harvest every year.

I understand folks wanting the privilege to use the place all 12 weeks the deer season is open. However, it’s moot if the quota has been achieved.

And at this price, your saving 50% of what the market is per acre with vastly superior success rates.

Killing isn’t what lease hunting is about. It’s about ambiance, experience and getting outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                        Killing isn’t what lease hunting is about. It’s about ambiance, experience and getting outdoors.
                        Yes. That’s why we found that this place is best leased by a company. Customers are thrilled to get to spend a long weekend in a gorgeous place loaded with trophy bucks and harvest a bucket list trophy in many cases. They don’t expect to go back 7-8 other weekends, and the company host is a hero for hosting such a marvelous experience.

Comment

Reading this makes me love Mexico even more

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            Good luck with finding a group. TBH was probably not the best place to post, as most on here will criticize your effort and question the owner about his management style, while having no intention of leasing.

Thanks for the PM and of course you’re correct about many responses. Its not like if they criticize the owner or his rules that he’s going to somehow back off and lease this very special ranch to a bunch of individual hunters to have a red neck playground out there.

As mentioned in OP, this place is not your typical deer lease opportunity. It’s a fit for a narrow bandwidth of qualified companies or possibly a closely knit group of likely affluent guys who have waterfowl, fishing, or other business and family obligations that keep them from visiting more than 6 times in a deer season and who understand the nuances of dealing with a proud but opinionated ranch owner. This place isn’t for everyone. But it’s an incredibly good opportunity for the right fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Well "Advice" is the first word in the title, so there is that. The more comments the more traction and visibility, the better chance the right person will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                                Well "Advice" is the first word in the title, so there is that. The more comments the more traction and visibility, the better chance the right person will see it.
                                That’s the rationale. I’m getting some interest and have no doubt our party is out there and we will eventually connect. Thanks to everyone for reading, the positive comments especially, and for indulging this search on here.

Will keep y’all posted. Keep the questions and referrals coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X