Cheapest method to keep two acres cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
    Let me guess you have not priced a tractor and implements, cost of maintenance and repair?
    I haven’t bought anything in 5 or 6 years, but I’m pretty in tune with that stuff. If I had relatively steady work at $50 an acre (with a mobilization fee), I’d make a killing.

I mowed 60 at my house over the weekend. That’d be 3k. I need to do another 60-80, next weekend. Heck that’s 7k in two weekends. Sign me up.

People would laugh at you if you quoted them that, around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      Let me guess you have not priced a tractor and implements, cost of maintenance and repair?

Exactly why I questioned $600 for 10 acres...... I too am familiar with tractors and related costs, and have a nice pile of implement parts I have torn up over the years.
      Yes, where I’m at those kind of quotes would definitely get one laughed at.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post

People would laugh at you if you quoted them that, around here.
        If I couldn’t charge $350.00 for a job that took all day using my equipment in your area, I would move.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
          It takes several hours to mow 10 acres with anything less than a batwing.
          Are you cutting with a 4ft Shredder? Several hours to knock out 10 acres? 10 acres should not even take 1hr. My Zero Turn is rated for almost 4 acre per hour, which is close because I mow a little over 3 acres in under an hour.
          Last edited by MattPopp; 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            Get you a goat.
            This

Comment

Originally posted by MattPopp View Post
              Are you cutting with a 4ft Shredder? Several hours to knock out 10 acres?
              I had mentioned that I was running a 6 ft mower and also that the pasture was so overgrown, it was overheating my equipment. SO i had to go very slow in low gear running higher rpm's and make a second pass. When standing out in the pasture, it was nearly to my hip and extremely thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                The Sabine River is a river, 510 miles long, in the Southern U.S. states of Texas and Louisiana. In its lower course, it forms part of the boundary between the two states and empties into Sabine Lake, an estuary of the Gulf of Mexico. Wikipedia
                LoL that's why I gave a more precise location and said I'm sqiggy neighbor.
                We are in Panola county on the Sabine.
                That narrows it down a bunch.

Comment

I had mentioned that I was running a 6 ft mower and also that the pasture was so overgrown, it was overheating my equipment. SO i had to go very slow in low gear running higher rpm's and make a second pass. When standing out in the pasture, it was nearly to my hip and extremely thick.
                  Mine is now up to my throat
                  Roughly 5and a half feet high in a bunch of parts
                  Other areas are all at least stomach deep

Comment

Originally posted by MattPopp View Post
                    Are you cutting with a 4ft Shredder? Several hours to knock out 10 acres? 10 acres should not even take 1hr. My Zero Turn is rated for almost 4 acre per hour, which is close because I mow a little over 3 acres in under an hour.
                    I will by you a steak dinner if you come over to my place and mow 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.
                    I have 13 acres of pasture on my place. It takes me around 5 hours to mow it with a 6' shredder and a 68 h.p. tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      LoL that's why I gave a more precise location and said I'm sqiggy neighbor.
                      We are in Panola county on the Sabine.
                      That narrows it down a bunch.
                      I didn't get the email blast about where sqiggy stays at.

I have some peeps with equipment in that part of the world if you want to inquire about someone else doing the mowing for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                        I will by you a steak dinner if you come over to my place and mow 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.
                        I have 13 acres of pasture on my place. It takes me around 5 hours to mow it with a 6' shredder and a 68 h.p. tractor.

And I'll buy the diesel and all the beer he can drink while he's doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          Mine is now up to my throat
                          Roughly 5and a half feet high in a bunch of parts
                          Other areas are all at least stomach deep
                          I run an old Deere 4052 and did not like how the mower was binding. Mind you, it was so thick, i could not see down into it from above. Not knowing how thick yours is, just the height, I would personally spray it and let it die and get crumbly. Then if you want to get a tractor and mower, it would be much easier to shred. I have had long, tall grass and weeds wrap around the hub before and you can cause serious damage to the mower or PTO.

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            Your tractor cruises to get 13 acres in 5 hrs. The extra HP helps.

Our ole buggy is old and tired and a bit under powered for the 6 ft.

Comment

After the 3rd person said it here i might have to look further into costs for a fence.
                              Goats are what hundred bucks a pop?

Comment

Your tractor cruises to get 13 acres in 5 hrs. The extra HP helps.

Our ole buggy is old and tired and a bit under powered for the 6 ft.
                                That's high range and 2nd gear. Not sure what the m.p.h. is at, but the pasture is fairly smooth and I mow it in the winter when the bermuda is not growing. Mainly hitting small areas of weeds. It's not much strain on the tractor at all.
                                My point was, you aint mowing 10 acres in an hour with a 6' shredder.

Comment

Working...
                                X