Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default Feeder Motor

Are there brands of feeder motors that are better than others? Bought a new 12 volt feeder from Academy and it seems the motor is weak. Tried 3 different batteries with the same results. Only spins the corn in about a 10' circle. What brand of motor should I replace it with? Thanks
Soggy Bottom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

http://www.ultramaticfeeders.com/ind...er-12v-12-volt
lab man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Might try putting some oil on the shaft. That usually works for us. The corn dust gets in the bearings and drags them down.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
mikerosa
Six Point

Hereís what Iíve discovered.

Your clock you use has an impact on corn distance.

I have a wild game nation feeder. Which uses the old Remington parts, that are actually the blower motor from a GM fan motor as itís motor.

I had a bear tear off my feeder plate so I had to make a fix. Having several replacement units, I simply replaced the whole feeder motor box with another spare and took the damaged one down to repair.

When I hooked it up, the corn didnít seem to be throwing far. Threw good, but didnít blast out. Thinking it was my battery, I put the tester on it and showed me a full charge. Then I checked to see I had the clock/timer set @ 100% fan action which I did.

What I did see however is that on this unit, the original clock must have went bad and I had replaced it with an American Hunter clock. These clicks work fine, but might not recognize the command to disburse @ 100%.

I left it alone because the area I use is tight and it throws in a smaller circle ⭕️.

But for areas where I want a big corn broadcast, Iím making sure the clocks match the unit.

Trust me on this one ! I have 11 feeders, 55 gallon drums all with 12 volt motors.

Bear damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Lol that ladder in the bed of the pickup reminds me of something OSHA would show in safety videos...... whatever works though
EastTexasMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Looks like could be life changing
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerosa View Post
Hereís what Iíve discovered.

Your clock you use has an impact on corn distance.

I have a wild game nation feeder. Which uses the old Remington parts, that are actually the blower motor from a GM fan motor as itís motor.

I had a bear tear off my feeder plate so I had to make a fix. Having several replacement units, I simply replaced the whole feeder motor box with another spare and took the damaged one down to repair.

When I hooked it up, the corn didnít seem to be throwing far. Threw good, but didnít blast out. Thinking it was my battery, I put the tester on it and showed me a full charge. Then I checked to see I had the clock/timer set @ 100% fan action which I did.

What I did see however is that on this unit, the original clock must have went bad and I had replaced it with an American Hunter clock. These clicks work fine, but might not recognize the command to disburse @ 100%.

I left it alone because the area I use is tight and it throws in a smaller circle ⭕️.

But for areas where I want a big corn broadcast, Iím making sure the clocks match the unit.

Trust me on this one ! I have 11 feeders, 55 gallon drums all with 12 volt motors.

Bear damage

You need a taller tree
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

I'm buying these from now on. They seem to work great. No longevity test yet but we'll see. Have to be better than the chinamade junk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEER-FEEDER...B/123277561703

Last edited by adam_p; 08-07-2018 at 07:59 AM.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Mine has three different RPM settings. Allseason Feeder
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

http://www.foreverlastonline.com/Fee...ries_c_26.html
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #11
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

The timer that is.
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
Lol that ladder in the bed of the pickup reminds me of something OSHA would show in safety videos...... whatever works though

Lol

But it works !!! Lol

No osha out in the woods and I was doing this alone without even someone to hold the ladder. OSHA woulda died a heart attack. Lol

Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
You need a taller tree

No ,,,, my are getting taller and I think are learning to jump.

Bottom of my feeder motor get set to 8.5 feet from the ground, up from 8 feet.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

West Texas Feeder Supply. Used their units for years with no problems!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #15
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
The timer that is.

Yes timers have 3 speeds.

However Iíve come to learn when you mix a different company timer with a different company motor, you do not get max RPM.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post

Lol

How about the rope I used to jack the feeder up and tied off to the Florida white oak tree .

Old 08-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Easy way to find out if your timer is limiting the speed(Amps) of the motor is to hook the motor directly to the battery, If it throws corn further without the timer hooked up then your timer is limiting the speed. Most timers I've seen and I've seen a lot, don't limit the speed when they are on the high or max setting. Just be prepared when you hook the motor directly to the battery that you are not in the way of the corn being thrown because as soon as you hook it up it will start throwing.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
No ,,,, my are getting taller and I think are learning to jump.

Bottom of my feeder motor get set to 8.5 feet from the ground, up from 8 feet.

Humm...ok...you need shorter bears
Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #19
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Speak of the devil. It's the deal of the week OP

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=701147
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #20
mikerosa
Six Point

Default Feeder Motor

Quote:
Humm...ok...you need shorter bears
Lol good one !

No

I need my 10mm

Old 08-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #21
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Speak of the devil. It's the deal of the week OP

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=701147

You see those ďdoors ď on the spinner on this feeder ? I have come to realize these are the BEST spinners ! They keep the birds out from picking and spilling the corn non stop all day, everyday.

Another unit I like that I bought from Texas Supply is called the Tundra Quest. Itís unit box is a bit bigger so you can use a bigger 12 volt battery that holds more amps and lasts longer. They donít have the gravity doors on the spinner like this one, but it can be modified.

Also the Tundra Quest clock has feeds set up DAILY! So you can throw more corn on any day you please or less corn on any day you please.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #22
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Voltage is what controls DC motor speed. Current is what controls DC motor torque. Torque and speed are inversely proportional. All DC motors have a torque speed curve. If you want high speed with a given current output capacity you have to settle for less torque. If you want a lot of torque you have to settle for lower speed.

Feeder timers control the speed the motor runs at by either changing the output voltage or if it's super fancy using pulse width modulation (PMW). So 3 things limit how fast your motor spins...how much voltage is supplied at the run command, how much torque the motor will provide at the max motor driver current, and the torque speed curve of the motor.

99.9999% of all the motors everyone runs on their timers are cheapo made in China units.

Like someone said above, if you want to find out if your timer is limiting you or your motor, connect the motor directly to a hot battery and see how it spins. If it hauls arse your timer is the governor. If it doesn't spin as fast as you like, then you have to get a different motor.

Also, most DC motors are very forgiving to over voltage. If you want real fast, get a high speed 6V motor and run it on a 12V controller. It will run twice as fast as its nameplate rating.

Last edited by 175gr7.62; 08-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Good info
Old 08-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #24
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Voltage is what controls DC motor speed. Current is what controls DC motor torque. Torque and speed are inversely proportional. All DC motors have a torque speed curve. If you want high speed with a given current output capacity you have to settle for less torque. If you want a lot of torque you have to settle for lower speed.

Feeder timers control the speed the motor runs at by either changing the output voltage or if it's super fancy using pulse width modulation (PMW). So 3 things limit how fast your motor spins...how much voltage is supplied at the run command, how much torque the motor will provide at the max motor driver current, and the torque speed curve of the motor.

99.9999% of all the motors everyone runs on their timers are cheapo made in China units.

Like someone said above, if you want to find out if your timer is limiting you or your motor, connect the motor directly to a hot battery and see how it spins. If it hauls arse your timer is the governor. If it doesn't spin as fast as you like, then you have to get a different motor.

Also, most DC motors are very forgiving to over voltage. If you want real fast, get a high speed 6V motor and run it on a 12V controller. It will run twice as fast as its nameplate rating.

You know youíre sheeeet ! Thanks !

So what do you suppose is the problem I ended up with when I used a American Hunter timer/clock on my Wild Game Nation unit, set up for full 100% broadcast but prolly throws half speed ?

Yes the clock is a China made garbage pail but they charge $25 American US dollars for them.

I mean to a layman such as myself. A wire hooked to a hot 12 volt battery should get the full brunt provided the clock is set to high speed. But Iím not getting it.

Wonder if I tried the other 2 speeds to see if they worked in reverse ?

Iím done with American Hunter clocks ! Unless I get this figured out.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #25
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Quote:
You know youíre sheeeet ! Thanks !

So what do you suppose is the problem I ended up with when I used a American Hunter timer/clock on my Wild Game Nation unit, set up for full 100% broadcast but prolly throws half speed ?

Yes the clock is a China made garbage pail but they charge $25 American US dollars for them.

I mean to a layman such as myself. A wire hooked to a hot 12 volt battery should get the full brunt provided the clock is set to high speed. But Iím not getting it.

Wonder if I tried the other 2 speeds to see if they worked in reverse ?

Iím done with American Hunter clocks ! Unless I get this figured out.

If you have a meter you can check the voltage being supplied to the motor when the timer tells it to run.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #26
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I'm sorry but 12V Timers do not limit the voltage, they limit the Amperage going to the motor to change the speed at least on the ones I've tested and I've tested several. It doesn't matter what setting you have the timer on(low,medium,high) it will still put out 12V but the amperage will be changed depending on each individual timer. For example, on high it will put out 12V and 2 amps, on medium 12V 1.5 amps and on low 12V 1 amp.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #27
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

West Texas Feeder supplies, Or a Spin Tech assembly
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #28
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

I used to buy new blower motors for mid-70's Chevy pickups @ the auto parts store for $17 back when I was building feeders regularly. You could get 'em for $5 (or less) @ the wrecking yard.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
mikerosa
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
I'm sorry but 12V Timers do not limit the voltage, they limit the Amperage going to the motor to change the speed at least on the ones I've tested and I've tested several. It doesn't matter what setting you have the timer on(low,medium,high) it will still put out 12V but the amperage will be changed depending on each individual timer. For example, on high it will put out 12V and 2 amps, on medium 12V 1.5 amps and on low 12V 1 amp.

Makes sense, even though I have no clue. But these batteries are tested for amps not just volts.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

Sorry, but physics donít work that way. What you checked is a PWM controller.

If you want to be exact, you CAN vary motor speed using current by changing the magnetic flux across field windings or by changing the armature resistance. That is super inefficient and youíd have multiple wires coming off your motor. All feeders just have a positive and negative wire going to the motor.

Motor power equals voltage times current. If you want to spin it faster you need more power. If your voltage is fixed (using a battery) you have to supply more current. 12v 50% duty cycle will draw roughly half the current of 12v 100% duty cycle. 12v pulses at 50% duty cycle will run half the speed of 100% duty cycle.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #31
mikerosa
Six Point

So it sounds to me, the answer to this is simply the mating of the clock/timer to the unit. The timer seems to regulate in some type of fashion how much current it allows from the battery to the blower motor when engaged.

The question is, how then do you know youíre getting a full out 12 volt maximum blast when you desire it ?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #32
sahunter
Four Point

tagged
sahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top