No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you guys tree experts? I'm looking at espalier options for my back yard and there's a space I'm interested in, but I don't know if I have quiiiite enough space..

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
      No, no you don't!!! I had pea plants waist high and LOADED with pea pods about 5 inches long. Another week and I would be picking bushels of peas. A couple of deer came in and wiped them out in one night.

I had the same issue, except they ate my chiles. Not the plant, but just the ripe chiles, before I could pick them. Seriously frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my garden tilled and rows made, onions have been in a month...I'm going to wait at least a couple of weeks before planting....mother nature can be cruel!

Comment

Fixing to get started tilling it all up. Last year was my first year to try it out and it was a huge success. Had to give away lots of stuff. I'm gonna grow a bigger variety this year.

Anyone know where I can get some straw around Mckinney? Will hay work?

Comment

Hey can anyone give me on insight on growing peppers in a 5 gallon bucket. Will I we wasting my time? I am wanting to plant jalapeño habanero ghost pepper and Carolina reaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              Fixing to get started tilling it all up. Last year was my first year to try it out and it was a huge success. Had to give away lots of stuff. I'm gonna grow a bigger variety this year.

Anyone know where I can get some straw around Mckinney? Will hay work?
              There's a couple different feed stores in Mckinney that should have straw. Any feed store should have it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you use hay for mulch to cover for weeds and such, get straw hay and not something like coastal... it will give you more bermuda grass than you'll ever be able to get rid of... Johnson Grass hay would be even worse!!

I got my wife's garden plot tilled up last weekend and added 18 yards of garden mix from Living earth technologies... It sure didn't go far for that much "dirt"!! will make some rows this weekend. She will plant her taters next week... ol' timers at home always planted taters on Valentine's day... Did that last year, and they were going great until we got that first 14" rain in 48 hours... taters rotted in the ground... Hope that don't happen this year....

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                  Hey can anyone give me on insight on growing peppers in a 5 gallon bucket. Will I we wasting my time? I am wanting to plant jalapeño habanero ghost pepper and Carolina reaper.

I've had great luck growing peppers in buckets. I just fill the buckets with miracle grow garden soil. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
                  If you keep them from freezing in the winter, they will keep growing. It took two years growth before I got a decent amount of reapers.
                  Last edited by scotty; 02-10-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                    There's a couple different feed stores in Mckinney that should have straw. Any feed store should have it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    If you use hay for mulch to cover for weeds and such, get straw hay and not something like coastal... it will give you more bermuda grass than you'll ever be able to get rid of... Johnson Grass hay would be even worse!!

I got my wife's garden plot tilled up last weekend and added 18 yards of garden mix from Living earth technologies... It sure didn't go far for that much "dirt"!! will make some rows this weekend. She will plant her taters next week... ol' timers at home always planted taters on Valentine's day... Did that last year, and they were going great until we got that first 14" rain in 48 hours... taters rotted in the ground... Hope that don't happen this year....
                    I talked to one of our customers who sells hay. He said all their stuff is hay grazer that they replant every year and should be free of bermuda and johnson grass. I'm thinking about trying it out. I might also try and get some straw from the feed store in Melissa or Mckinney.

My soil is pretty dang good, but I may mix in some compost just because. Any leads in the same area?

Comment

Ground thawed enough for me to drive my ground stakes on the new greenhouse. Hoping to get the frame and end walls up in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Thanks Scotty looks good. I'm going to the depot today going to pickup some buckets. I noticed you have stick in the center. I was thinking about cages what do you think ?

Comment

Ordered my seeds yesterday from baker seed company, but going to be trying aquaponics instead of my normal dirt garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                            Thanks Scotty looks good. I'm going to the depot today going to pickup some buckets. I noticed you have stick in the center. I was thinking about cages what do you think ?

Stakes are cheaper. They are actually repurposed pop-up blind support rods. [emoji2]
                            Cages would work fine too.

Comment

Ten four thanks

Comment

Prepped box beds about 85%, but decided I'm not thinking about planting until we get through Feb. I know this looks like an easy year to get multiple crops in, but I quit messing with winter seedlings.

Comment

Working...
                                X