No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew! Already had a 20° drop in the last 4.5 hours, covering and brining in what all I can! Hope all ya'll that are getting this cold snap are dong the same!

Comment

Guess I waited just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
        Whew! Already had a 20° drop in the last 4.5 hours, covering and brining in what all I can! Hope all ya'll that are getting this cold snap are dong the same!

I'm trusting the 39° low forecast on weather underground... got some mini greenhouses (aka clear plastic cups) on the cucumber seedlings, as well as about 2" of shredded leaf mulch. Everything else out is cold tolerant. Putting tomatoes and peppers out in a week and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ran to Walmart and bought some clear shower curtain to cover my strawberrys before they froze, glad I did it was 27 degrees this morning
          Attached Files

Comment

We hit 41 is all. Crisis averted.
            Although, these little impromptu cloches worked awesome. Those cucumbers all popped up after putting them on.

Comment

Calling for frost in dfw area tonight. Glad I have waited so far

Comment

We only got to the middle 40's, and should be good tonight too. Will watch the weather this evening and decide if things need covering... We're ready if need be, but not much planted anyway. 'taters that came up are growing real nice tho. Wouldn't want to lose them. I think I'd be more disappointed in losing all the dewberry blooms around than the few things we've got planted in the garden to tell the truth... Right now if they don't get hit, we'll have the best berry crop we've had in years!

Comment

Dang gotta cover up my stuff. Something is already getting after my bean and pepper leaves

Comment

My Thyme never died and my Oregano came back on its own. Just sticking to herb garden again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                      That was a single year's growth. It was started in the greenhouse the last week of December 2015, transplanted Easter 2016, and killed by the first frost. We got 9 gallons of peppers (6 of them were green) off of it throughout the year.
                      Here are the Ghosts and Reapers from this year...

Arn't reapers the hottest pepper on the planet. What do you do with them? I consider my self pretty heat tolerance but not sure I can do much with something hotter than habinaro's. salsa?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        My Thyme never died and my Oregano came back on its own. Just sticking to herb garden again this year.
                        My thyme didn't either. It comes back regardless, but it was green all winter. Oregano typically comes back around here also. I have a huge plant that I finally divided a couple of days ago. Tomatoes are in and a few bell peppers. I'll wait until Wednesday to plant rest of the peppers. Cucumber/squash seeds will be sewn in a couple of weeks. Onions, garlic, and cilantro are strong and healthy.

Comment

My beef mater plants started pop-n up yesterday. Still waiting on the peppers.

Comment

Oregano and chives that made it through to this season.

Rosemary

Brought these in last night:

Purple Cherokee

Mr. Stripey

Poblano/Ancho

Comment

Just covered all plants, sure hope it helps with the frost coming tonight.

Comment

Buckets over everything! Glad they are still small enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X