Cultipacker for Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We haven’t had much success with fall food plots at our place around Brady, TX over the past two years due to lack of rainfall in the fall and winter. We currently have a disk harrow, broadcaster and a drag. I noticed that even after we disked and drug the fields the soil was very fluffy and the seed would just sit on top of the soil even after dragging. We are looking at buying a cultipacker this year to help ensure that the soil is firm and to ensure the seeds are pressed into the soil. From what I’ve read is that a cultipacker could really help ensure the field is clod-free and firm up the soil to help prevent moisture loss. We are planting oats and wheat and maybe some soybeans and clover this fall and will probably plant the weekend of 10/19. We’ve tried planting at the beginning of October the past two years but after an early rain it got too hot and burned everything. Here is the cultipacker we are looking at buying:

Do any of you guys have any advise or know if any other cultipackers that you would recommend? Thanks for the input!

We use a cultipacker on food plots. Typically pulled behind the Ranger.

Our normal routine is to disc really well first. Spread seed and fertilizer. Disc again. Then run packer over it. We always get a good stand.

There will always be some seed that doesn’t get covered to the right depth with this method, but I’d say at least 90% of it does.

We plant at a seed rate of about 110 pounds per acre. Wheat, oats, rye, etc.

Skinny
    Last edited by Skinny; 08-11-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

This rain should help!!!
      Between the dry falls and the army worms,
      Later planting works better for me.
      I spread more seed than “normal” cause seed is cheap compared to the time and effort spent.
      That cultipacker should help! Good luck.

Comment

Get you a grain drill and you should have much better results.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          We use a cultipacker on food plots. Typically pulled behind the Ranger.

Our normal routine is to disc really well first. Spread seed and fertilizer. Disc again. Then run packer over it. We always get a good stand.

There will always be some seed that doesn’t get covered to the right depth with this method, but I’d say at least 90% of it does.

We plant at a seed rate of about 110 pounds per acre. Wheat, oats, rye, etc.

Skinny
          Did you build or buy that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have a cultipacker I've been using a big roller I pull with my tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Did you build or buy that?

Bought it. Not sure where. I wanna say online and it was delivered.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                Bought it. Not sure where. I wanna say online and it was delivered.

Skinny
                Thanks. Found one like it on the innerwebs. More than I thought it was

Comment

I use the very cultipacker that you linked. I really like it. Easier to turn around in tight places and heavy enough to do the job. I plotted several years before I bought one just using a tire drag and made good plots, but I really like the cultipacker for small seeds. I still drag but plant my small seeds on top and then pack the hell out of it.

Comment

I found this cultipacker for the Polaris but it’s only 385lbs:

Do you think n this is heavy enough to break clods and firm up the soil? I like the idea of using a cultipacker that attaches to the UTV so we can have a couple of people working at the same time - tractor and Polaris.

Comment

I have no idea. Never used a UTV for anything except hauling seed and fertilizer or spraying. I do all my plots alone for the most part and with quick hitches it only takes about five minutes to get from disc to cultipacker. I disc all my plots, then drag all of them, then plant and fertilize, etc. so when I get through with an implement I’m through with it. If I get some help on the weekend it’s usually just handling seed and fertilizer. Whatever size you decide to get you won’t be disappointed in the quality of the one in the first link. It’s well made.

Edit: I just looked at your last link. For the money, I myself would not buy that one. It may work for your soils, but it wouldn’t in some of mine. Depending on how dry it is, some of mine are pretty big clods. I do my best to disc them down small, but a good cultipacker can make the difference in germination.
                      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 08-11-2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

Do you think n this is heavy enough to break clods and firm up the soil? I like the idea of using a cultipacker that attaches to the UTV so we can have a couple of people working at the same time - tractor and Polaris.

That looks like the one we have. It’s served us well over the years. Ours can be pull behind or 3 point hook up. I prefer to pull it behind the Ranger.

Skinny

Comment

Thanks for your input. I really like that style of cultipacker, I just want to make sure that it’s heavy enough to truly break the clods and compress the soil. Everything I’ve read is to get a 600lb cultipacker or more. Does this style really break it all up and compress the soil? Sorry for all of the questions.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I really like that style of cultipacker, I just want to make sure that it’s heavy enough to truly break the clods and compress the soil. Everything I’ve read is to get a 600lb cultipacker or more. Does this style really break it all up and compress the soil? Sorry for all of the questions.

I’m not sure what ours weights but I’d say 300-400 pounds maybe. We try to get a good seed bed prepped by discing really well first. The packer does do a good job of breaking up clods. I guess it really depends on your initial disc and soil type though.

Sometimes I’ll run the packer over the ground a couple times till it’s pretty clod free.

Skinny
                            Last edited by Skinny; 08-11-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Look at the ones tractor supply carries. They look just like the one skinny posted and similar to the one you did.

Half the money

Comment

Working...
                              X