Filing taxes questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing taxes questions

First year filing married and the wife does a bunch of photography on the side that she is reporting this year so with all the changes I’m assuming we will need to get a CPA involved? I have always been a do it the first week via TurboTax guy so it’s been easy but she waits until the last second plus all the write offs with equipment has me out of my comfort zone trying to do it all. That being said does anyone have a CPA they would recommend in the Houston area (SW side is even better).

Obviously filing today wouldn’t do anything with the shut down but I’m trying to get the ball rolling sooner rather then later.

I’ve not had to do that specifically, but I’ve always been impressed with how well the TurboTax app walks you through everything when I did itemize. With one of the packages you can chat with a CPA as well I believe.

I’m the type to get it done quickly and my wife is a procrastinator as well. I told her the first year that I’ll do the taxes, but in exchange she has to get me her tax info within a reasonable time. She doesn’t want to attempt the taxes so she gets me what I need.

Comment

If you have a small business a good cpa will make you money.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
        I’ve not had to do that specifically, but I’ve always been impressed with how well the TurboTax app walks you through everything when I did itemize. With one of the packages you can chat with a CPA as well I believe.

I’m the type to get it done quickly and my wife is a procrastinator as well. I told her the first year that I’ll do the taxes, but in exchange she has to get me her tax info within a reasonable time. She doesn’t want to attempt the taxes so she gets me what I need.
        Same thing I told mine and she said she’s still in no hurry
        Opposites attract I guess lol

Thanks for the input and will further look into TurboTax.

Comment

Back when we had cows my CPA was money well spent

It never "cost" me money to use one, usually made/saved me money

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            If you have a small business a good cpa will make you money.
            Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

This is what I’m hoping. If anything break us even on the photography side of things

Comment

Our CPA charges $250 and is well worth it. He is not in Houston though.

Comment

And let me clarify on the photography
                It’s look like a extra 15-20k this year so is that even worth involving a CPA? There is about 9-10k is equipment write offs which is the main thing I’m concerned with.

So new & ignorant at this stuff so apologies for any stupid questions

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

As stated above money well spent to get experienced assistance. At a minimum get a CPA or a reputable license tax preparer that is familiar with your wife’s profession would even be better. There is nothing wrong with using the laws that are in place to keep your hard earned dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    And let me clarify on the photography
                    It’s look like a extra 15-20k this year so is that even worth involving a CPA? There is about 9-10k is equipment write offs which is the main thing I’m concerned with.

So new & ignorant at this stuff so apologies for any stupid questions
                    15 or 20 grand could bump you to the next tax bracket. A cpa will probably negate most all of it.

Comment

Back up for a recommendation for one in the Houston area

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                        Back up for a recommendation for one in the Houston area
                        My wife is a contractor so we have a CPA. Saves us money for sure!

Bay area business serviceas in league City

Comment

One year I decided I could do my own based on the previous year

Could not find one form/schedule I needed at post office and got mad and just went back to CPA
                          Once again he found a way to make my tax bill way less than what I had come up with

I never made anywhere close to 15k with the cows. Would think a CPA could do you some big favors with that much involved

Comment

A good CPA is definitely a plus to a small business owner. But beware that err are plenty of bad ones that will miss a lot. As other small business who they use and if they would recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Turbo tax with business is great. I used it for my paint business and now for farm and wedding venue. Walks you through everything. If she hasn't then she needs to open a business checking account, then deposits in it are easy to track for taxes and also business checks. Prevents comingling of accounts......

Comment

Working...
                              X