Protein help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein help

I’ll start feeding protein on a 7k acre lease I just got on around the middle of the month. We all have timed protein units. Idk what type of protein they are going to feed yet. I wanna know what y’all would recommend! What will benefit the deer the most to grow big horns and pack on the pounds! The lease is between brackettville and uvalde. Going to pick up my Krivomann feeder next week!! (I can’t wait!)

I would recommend Double Down I have seen the results. But thats just my opinion.

Comment

L&E hands down!

Comment

What protein? Or do I just walk in and ask for double down or l and e lol

Comment

I like L&E. You may find your deer prefer a certain brand better than some. Don't fill your feeder full on the 1st fill. At our place in Coleman county I started out with purina. Couldn't get them to eat it. Tried some L&E and they jumped on it .

Comment

Double Down has dealers all over the state. Google them and their website has a list of dealers. Not sure of the others.

Comment

I love L&E. The Hondo location is likely on your way.

Comment

I’d get with lease mates and likely feed the same. Some people have had bad antler results mixing proteins in a herd. One memeber here saw it when using both DD and L&E I believe. Said when he took DD out of the equation they went back to normal.

Either woulda be a great choice alone in the herd though

Comment

Originally posted by takarge View Post
                  I’ll start feeding protein on a 7k acre lease I just got on around the middle of the month. We all have timed protein units. Idk what type of protein they are going to feed yet. I wanna know what y’all would recommend! What will benefit the deer the most to grow big horns and pack on the pounds! The lease is between brackettville and uvalde. Going to pick up my Krivomann feeder next week!! (I can’t wait!)
                  Don't let the feeders go dry. Timed feeders are ok during the hunting season, but free choice from January to September will get you the results you are looking for. We feed free choice year round. It is costly. Shoot all the old culls you can and keep the doe numbers in check if you are worried about cost of feeding free choice.

Good luck!

Comment

^^^exactly what JamesL said^^^ they will eat it when they need it the most. we see a small decline in consumption when acorns hit the ground and again a small decline in NOVEMBER . Point is timed feeding not all the deer will have a chance to get it before it is all consumed before the next feeding time.

Comment

Working...
                    X