Heartburn/ Acid Reflux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
    Anyone else deal with this? I get it from acidic foods but I am trying to get off sodas. If I drink tea( sweet or unsweetened) or lemonade I will have heartburn from everything I eat or drink afterwards. I love tea but the heartburn after made me stop drinking it. If I could have tea I could stop drinking sodas, anybody else deal with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Almost exact same scenario for me. Currently still drink soda but I stopped and switched to tea/lemonade for almost 2 years and that made it worse. Can't have certain flavors of sports drinks either. It kills me because I got to have some flavor to my drinks and everything seems to tear me up.

Comment

I have a hiatal hernia that I think was caused by not breathing properly when lifting heavy weights. Caffeine and alcohol are bad, as well as spicy food without several hours before laying down. Took omeprazole for years but has side effects. Now I mix baking soda with water or with water and apple cider vinegar, and tums.

Comment

I have a hiatal hernia also been suffering with acid reflux since my teens I'm 56 now. I have been on Nexium for many years along with aloe vera juice 1 hour before bed.

Comment

Try some of that greek yogurt, i am pretty sure that it helps me more than antiacids and such. And if it dont work it didn't cost you much to try it out

Comment

I too have a hiatal hernia. have had acid indigestion all my life. Tums and rolaids until the proton pump inhibitors came around. mine would be either indigestion if the valve on the stomach entrance would hold open, or diahrea on the other end. I lost weight after being on the pills for about 20 years, and didn't have it anymore. After about 10 years it has come back. I don't want to take the pills any more, due to only having one kidney, and they (Prilosec anyway) has been linked to kidney failure. Lost the kidney to renal cancer, and so far it isn't linked to the proton pump inhibitors yet. Be careful with long term use of these meds. Don't want to be a stick in the mud, because they work so well for acid.

Comment

If I look at a donut too long I'll get heart burn! I'm not sure what it is about a glazed donut but they will wear me out more than anything else.

Comment

I had heartburn/digestive issues from about the time I turned 30, until about a year ago. I’m 35 now...

The first couple trips to the gastroenterologist made me think I had GERD.

During a more comprehensive blood test last year, they found my iron (ferratin) levels were very elevated. I donated blood a few times to get the levels back to normal, and bingo - no more heartburn. Also my energy level greatly improved.

Just something to look out for, as the underlying cause of some of Heartburn issues can often be something else - and most people who have elevated iron levels (hematomachrosis) go years thinking something else is wrong with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  I cleaned up my diet and it disappeared overnight
                  This^^^

I had it bad in my late 20s. It would get so bad that it would cause my esophagus to swell and I couldnt swallow food without pain. Felt like I had a golf ball lodged int my throat, just above my stomach. Went to the Dr. and got on a regiment of Prilosec. That worked for a while, but if I ever forgot to take the pill I would get bad reflux again. I also began reading studies that clained that long term use of those types of meds were causing other issues, so I began looking for something else to help. Decided that I was too overweight and that was probably contributing to my problem. I went on the South Beach diet and it cleared up the reflux in a matter of days. Now I only have it when I get off the wagon for too long. Since the holidays I havent been very good. I also spent a week at the FW stock show, which didnt help. Started to have some reflux the other day. Gotta get back on track and it should fix itself shortly. So far, I havent had any the last couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by acc05R1 View Post
                    Just take 1 Dexilant 60mg pill each morning, before eating. Problem solved for me!
                    Basically same for me but I do it every other day. Knocks it out!

Comment

Apple cider vinegar works wonders

Comment

Omeprazole is the miracle drug. As per my doctor 20 years ago, if that doesn't fix it you have some serious issues. All that pepcid and tums crap is worthless if you have acid reflux. I used to eat that other stuff by the handful when I was 30. one omeprazole pill per day stopped it immediately. Now I take maybe one a week.....or one every two weeks. No heartburn at all anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          Omeprazole is the miracle drug. As per my doctor 20 years ago, if that doesn't fix it you have some serious issues. All that pepcid and tums crap is worthless if you have acid reflux. I used to eat that other stuff by the handful when I was 30. one omeprazole pill per day stopped it immediately. Now I take maybe one a week.....or one every two weeks. No heartburn at all anymore.
                          X2 this is what I take some good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
                            X2 this is what I take some good stuff.
                            I must say I was shocked by most of the replies.

Comment

I eat a hand full of almonds, raw or roasted. It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                I can go 4 or 5 days without one now. Trying to stretch it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X