Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Hunter98
Six Point
 
Hunter98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Columbia
Hunt In: Still looking
Default Culls

When does everyone cull their 8 pointers, 2.5 or 3.5?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Javelin
Pope & Young
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County
Default

no bucks die till at least 4.5 and none are culls on our place. we have good herd numbers but they are not over populated by any means so we have no need to lower the numbers.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
deerwatcher51
Ten Point
 
deerwatcher51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brenham & Richland Springs
Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos
Default

I usually do at 3.5....I will occasionally let them go longer if they have other attributes, such as long brows, super long G-2 or 3's or outstanding mass.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
no bucks die till at least 4.5 and none are culls on our place. we have good herd numbers but they are not over populated by any means so we have no need to lower the numbers.
X2, the thing I would like to add is dont determine a "cull" by the number of points but rather look at the frame attributes of the buck. I would rather see a basket racket 10 point be taken than a large framed 8 point. Culling doesnt work in 99% of the situations in Texas so let the deer grow up and then kill them once they are mature.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Hunter98
Six Point
 
Hunter98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Columbia
Hunt In: Still looking
Default

I'm looking one right now, that is big bodied, 14 inches wide, 1 inch brow tines, and 4 tines. Probably 3.5. Thinking he is cull. I had another probably low 130's with him and he was smaller

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
stickman
Pope & Young
 
stickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: S.Texas
Default

Depends, I would love to get all deer to 4.5 before shooting them. Reality of it is that some deer at 3.5 just don’t make the cut so on some occasions they gotta go.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
pilar
Ten Point
 
pilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default

No 8pt culls till 4.5 -5.5 ! 7pt's no brow 6's ,5's yes @ 3.5 years
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Big pig
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98 View Post
When does everyone cull their 8 pointers, 2.5 or 3.5?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
4.5.

We donít have a population problem.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

As a general guideline for most of Texas, it isn’t a good idea to shoot anything until they get to 4.5
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
hardtner
Ten Point
 
hardtner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS
Default

We don’t cull anything on our place
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Culls

Depends. Itís not a blanket deal.

We have a solid population of deer. 4.5 is preferred and what our rules say but some have died at 3.5 when there is an abundance and we shoot one or two on the low end of the age class when we need mouths removed.

Also because we like the big 8s, deer at 4.5 with good tine length or show potential elsewhere like kickers, width or great brows get a pass. Deer do not have to be >8 points to be allowed to mature and show their potential for us. We are in it for killing nice deer .... not total inches.

We shoot to remove mouths and less desirable deer .... . Seems like a common sense thing to do and pretty much all we non biologist low budget types can do since we are told culling to improve genetics doesnít work on low fence properties.

Last edited by Smart; 01-14-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young
 
MQ32Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garland, Texas
Hunt In: Cisco, Texas
Default

I can’t cull anything with branched antlers until AR tells me I can.
MQ32Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Pineywoods Paul
Eight Point
 
Pineywoods Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Polk County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
No 8pt culls till 4.5 -5.5 ! 7pt's no brow 6's ,5's yes @ 3.5 years
^This. Took us years to reach this conclusion - guess we are kinda slow. However, this notion that 8 points are culls once they reach 3.5 or even 4.5 is generally used as an excuse to let hunters kill bucks with upside when they should be harvesting does.

There are many 8 points that are 4.5 that get 10 or even 12 points at 5.5 or older.
Once they're dead, however, kinda hard to sprout those extra points.

So many clubs have too many hunters that still equate trophy status with the number of points when it's all about age.

Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 01-14-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Pineywoods Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Nothing dies under 4.5, let em roll and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

I think letting every deer get to 4 1/2 is a good thing. Age is the most important factor in managing, so I don't really believe in culling at 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 unless something wild is happening with antlers. I am by no means an expert and don't act to be, but I don't think letting deer get some age can ever be a bad thing. I think trophies should make 6 1/2 plus.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
Hunter98
Six Point
 
Hunter98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Columbia
Hunt In: Still looking
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
^This. Took us years to reach this conclusion - guess we are kinda slow. However, this notion that 8 points are culls once they reach 3.5 or even 4.5 is generally used as an excuse to let hunters kill bucks with upside when they should be harvesting does.

There are many 8 points that are 4.5 that get 10 or even 12 points at 5.5 or older.
Once they're dead, however, kinda hard to sprout those extra points.

So many clubs have too many hunters that still equate trophy status with the number of points when it's all about age.
I'm looking one right now, that is big bodied, 14 inches wide, 1 inch brow tines, and 4 tines. Probably 3.5. Thinking he is cull. I had another probably low 130's with him and he was smaller.

It was just one particular deer I was talking about. We have big deer.



Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

In almost all circumstances it is more important to figure out how to improve nutrition than to see any value in the idea of culling.Impossible to know what a deers potential is unless he has full year round nutrition
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
Hockley
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default

In an original AR county we had a 3 year old 10 turn into a dang nice 8 at 4 due to the drought. The next year at 5 he was a 157Ē 10pt, he didnít live till 6. I would definitely not shoot a 3 year old 8 and 4 is questionable.

I hunt as a guest on a high fence Ranch and in my opinion they shoot way to many 8ís too early. They also cull spikes. A high end deer on the place is 160Ē, granted itís all West Texas original genetics, but I feel that after 10 years of management under a fence you should be hitting 170 fairly consistently. As a guest you do as you are told though. I donít shoot the 8ís, but i will shoot a spike although I donít agree with that either.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #19
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

All 8ís should be exterminated at 3!



Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

Friday evening was our last hunt in Mexico for the season, the ranch owner wanted a " tamale " buck, I told him if I seen one I would get him, well a really big what appeared to be 6 point walked in, he had 13 plus two's and three's, great mass and about 18 inches wide, he was a 4 year old, I was about to put the hammer down on him when my hunting partner said let me look at that deer with my spotting scope, well he had broken both brows smooth off, I am sure happy i did not shoot him, although a 145 six point would be pretty cool. Will be interesting to see what this deer may do if he makes it to 5 or 6. I think 4 years is as young as I would cull unless it is obvious the deer will not grow anything special.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

That's a 16 Peyton...he likely ate his twin brother in the womb keeping the main 8 frame.

I shot a whopper 4-5 year old 8 yesterday that went a whole 107"
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
X2, the thing I would like to add is dont determine a "cull" by the number of points but rather look at the frame attributes of the buck. I would rather see a basket racket 10 point be taken than a large framed 8 point. Culling doesnt work in 99% of the situations in Texas so let the deer grow up and then kill them once they are mature.
Very good explanation.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Depends. Itís not a blanket deal.

We have a solid population of deer. 4.5 is preferred and what our rules say but some have died at 3.5 when there is an abundance and we shoot one or two on the low end of the age class when we need mouths removed.

Also because we like the big 8s, deer at 4.5 with good tine length or show potential elsewhere like kickers, width or great brows get a pass. Deer do not have to be >8 points to be allowed to mature and show their potential for us. We are in it for killing nice deer .... not total inches.

We shoot to remove mouths and less desirable deer .... . Seems like a common sense thing to do and pretty much all we non biologist low budget types can do since we are told culling to improve genetics doesnít work on low fence properties.
Another good explanation
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #24
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
All 8ís should be exterminated at 3!



The best reason so far not to "cull", impressive
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
As a general guideline for most of Texas, it isnít a good idea to shoot anything until they get to 4.5
3.5 6 pts and no brows should die just about anywhere in Texas
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
All 8ís should be exterminated at 3!



Dang high fence heavy protein fed deer donít count.



Lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Weíre at 4.5 for most main frame 8s with no trash or really big frames/tines etc.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Got dang Peyton. That is a beautiful deer.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
Mac5dawg
Ten Point
 
Mac5dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

We cull spikes at 2.5, anything 7 or less at 3.5 and we do not cull any 8's unless they are 4.5 or older and they show none of the following - good width, good mass or kickers.
Mac5dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #30
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Thatís is a freaking PIG Peyton!!


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #31
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I agree with Peyton. All 8's should be exterminated. This was a 'clean ' 8 at 6 yrs old and I just let him slip thru the 'cull' cracks! Dang.
Attached Images
 
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #32
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

I’ve always said more trophy bucks have been killed 3.5 as 8 points than all other “culls” combined
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #33
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
I agree with Peyton. All 8's should be exterminated. This was a 'clean ' 8 at 6 yrs old and I just let him slip thru the 'cull' cracks! Dang.
And Iím sure it was a 115Ē 8 at 6....lol
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
JPHunting
Six Point
 
JPHunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Hunt In: Aus & NZ mostly but anywhere in the world I'm welcome
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98 View Post
I'm looking one right now, that is big bodied, 14 inches wide, 1 inch brow tines, and 4 tines. Probably 3.5. Thinking he is cull. I had another probably low 130's with him and he was smaller

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Just out of curiosity, for a cull like you've mentioned what's generally the going rate for a hunt for a deer of that calibre?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
JPHunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #35
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Iíve always said more trophy bucks have been killed 3.5 as 8 points than all other ďcullsĒ combined
Amen...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #36
IkemanTX
Ten Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
In an original AR county we had a 3 year old 10 turn into a dang nice 8 at 4 due to the drought. The next year at 5 he was a 157Ē 10pt, he didnít live till 6. I would definitely not shoot a 3 year old 8 and 4 is questionable.



I hunt as a guest on a high fence Ranch and in my opinion they shoot way to many 8ís too early. They also cull spikes. A high end deer on the place is 160Ē, granted itís all West Texas original genetics, but I feel that after 10 years of management under a fence you should be hitting 170 fairly consistently. As a guest you do as you are told though. I donít shoot the 8ís, but i will shoot a spike although I donít agree with that either.


I think people tend to forget to take the browse availability and dry years into account. That is something that can dramatically change a bucksís rack.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #37
mrc
Ten Point
 
mrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham TX.
Hunt In: Young and Jack
Default

I only cull when I need to remove mouths from the feed trough. I only cull 2.5 yo and up, it could be a spike or odd tined deer. I know I can't manage athe herd on my lowfenced place so I try to give my deer with more potential a better chance at the protein
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #38
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Culls

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
And Iím sure it was a 115Ē 8 at 6....lol


Yeah but how many people shoot 115 in 8ís at 3.5 on properties and ***** about not killing big deer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #39
Hunter98
Six Point
 
Hunter98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Columbia
Hunt In: Still looking
Default

Ok I think original post wasn't worded to good. We have big deer and my question should have read. When do you cull a 8 point that has bad characteristics and does nor have any potential? Here are a few pics from the last couple of years. I think they speak for themselves.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #40
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Yeah but how many people shoot 115 in 8ís at 3.5 on properties and ***** about not killing big deer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winner
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #41
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Culls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98 View Post
Ok I think original post wasn't worded to good. We have big deer and my question should have read. When do you cull a 8 point that has bad characteristics and does nor have any potential? Here are a few pics from the last couple of years. I think they speak for themselves.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


If you have a healthy buck to doe ratio and need to take bucks then I would shoot the lower quality bucks starting at 4.5. For the record Iíll pass on a big 6 and kill a small 8 everyday of the week. I like big frame deer and had a buddy shoot an 8 over a 6 that was the same age but the 6 was way more impressive.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 01-14-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #42
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Doctor Deer says 3.5.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #43
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Iíve always said more trophy bucks have been killed 3.5 as 8 points than all other ďcullsĒ combined
How did you determine that?
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 AM   #44
Mexicobbd187
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

I agree you got to let them roll I just can’t understand why a lot of these guys shoot the 1.5 yr old spikes an call them culls Smh
Mexicobbd187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #45
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Yeah but how many people shoot 115 in 8ís at 3.5 on properties and ***** about not killing big deer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's true. Lots of the top end deer are killed at 3.5 and 4.5 and not just 8s. Usually its the opposite where the 10s+ are killed and the 8s are left.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicobbd187 View Post
I agree you got to let them roll I just canít understand why a lot of these guys shoot the 1.5 yr old spikes an call them culls Smh
They may have an abundance of 1.5 y/o 4 and 6's so nothing wrong with Killing the spikes
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #47
Mexicobbd187
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

They thing is when you shoot 1.5 yr old spikes you could possiably wiping out a whole age class of bucks in your herd you have no way at that age to tell what he is going to be! But hey run your operation how you see fit
Mexicobbd187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #48
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
How did you determine that?
By just the fact that most think once an 8 always an 8 if the deer is 3.5. That's just not the case. I base this on what I have seen on the ranches my family has owned over the years.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #49
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Culls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
By just the fact that most think once an 8 always an 8 if the deer is 3.5. That's just not the case. I base this on what I have seen on the ranches my family has owned over the years.


We see it every year too. 8s become 9s or 10s, some 10s occasionally come back as 8s or 9s and then 8s stay 8s.. It works both ways even on good rain years.

That being said and speaking to the OPs original post, we are finally recovering from the 2011 drought and subsequent lower deer numbers in the mature age classes. With that we now have a plethora of 8s so we do try to take out a few of the lower end of our 4.5s (and occasionally, but rarely a 3.5) looking at their horn traits under the guise of management via mouth removal. Like was said above we look at it as giving the upper level of those age classes a chance at better natural food supplies with our normal higher deer pops. Plus it allows our members to have some meat in the freezer and maybe the wife, son or daughter, one extra shot opportunity other than the members ďtrophyĒ. Itís not an exact science but itís not a lot of work worrying about it either. It just seems like common sense to us.

We try to find a happy medium between killing decent mature deer with a bow, on a low fence place and keeping members and their family happy without a $15-30K annual feed budget. Itís not foolproof and yes a late rising deer might die early but itís conservative enough that our better deer with better traits, 8s or larger, usually make it. Plus...in the grand scheme of things, it seems to work for us while admittedly understanding it wonít work for everybody who might have different stricter goals and a bigger budget.

Last edited by Smart; 01-16-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #50
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Culls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicobbd187 View Post
They thing is when you shoot 1.5 yr old spikes you could possiably wiping out a whole age class of bucks in your herd you have no way at that age to tell what he is going to be! But hey run your operation how you see fit


Yup... young 1.5 yo deer, spikes or not, are a big no for us. Seems West Texas with its volatile weather patterns produce a lot of yearling spikes and we just donít want to risk killing a deer that young not having a better idea. I see folks on TBH all the time talking about a yearling forkhorn has a better chance of being a better deer than a yearling spike. While there might be some ďstudiesĒ in better environments that back that up, we have a hard time believing in our volatile weather patterns and rough rocky territory that an additional 2-3Ē of total antler at age 1.5 is enough to justify superiority or a lack of that same 2-3Ē of antler justifies a mow down.

Weíll just catch them later at 4.5 with more meat on the bone..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com