Bit the Bullet and got a Mac...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit the Bullet and got a Mac...

and I have to admit. I'm feeling like a fish out of water. I'm doing my best to fumble through the setup to see if I can get familiar with it. Gonna need a training session for sure.

Is it better to use Bootcamp on my Mac for the windows programs I need to install? Or would running parallels be a better way to go?

I just secured a couple copies of Windows Professional 7. Didn't want Windows 10.

Comment

Do I need to use MacKeeper or is there a better way to protect my Mac?

Comment

I got a mac. only thing I can do is check my emails and look at the whole wide world web. other than that its useless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
          I got a mac. only thing I can do is check my emails and look at the whole wide world web. other than that its useless to me.
          I've got 14 days to decide if I feel the same way...

Comment

I ran parallels for years so I could do work from my mac as needed.

I never ran bootcamp but liked being able to switch back and forth from osx/windows as needed without booting one os only.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              I ran parallels for years so I could do work from my mac as needed.

I never ran bootcamp but liked being able to switch back and forth from osx/windows as needed without booting one os only.
              Can you give me an idea of why you would have to switch back and forth from one OS to another?

Comment

I run parallels with my cad programs and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                  Can you give me an idea of why you would have to switch back and forth from one OS to another?
                  I like it so that I can still use the mac side for email, messaging, web, etc. and use the windows side only for the programs that require windows. I can also share my folders so that I can access files on both the mac and windows side.

Say I save a PDF proof on my CAD program and want to email it. I can access the file from the mac and email it there. It allows me to keep my documents and projects better organized without having to remember if it was saved on the mac side or windows side.

Comment

For me having to use parallels it was strictly for my work VPN and certain programs only operating on a windows based machine.

For normal use mac has just about an equivalent for everything windows can do and there's no need to go back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                      I like it so that I can still use the mac side for email, messaging, web, etc. and use the windows side only for the programs that require windows. I can also share my folders so that I can access files on both the mac and windows side.

Say I save a PDF proof on my CAD program and want to email it. I can access the file from the mac and email it there. It allows me to keep my documents and projects better organized without having to remember if it was saved on the mac side or windows side.
                      Both my CAD and PDF files are saved to my Dropbox(cloud) account. Both are accessible through Windows and Mac. Would I still need to switch OS to send files?

Comment

I prefer VMware Fusion, or Parallels so that I can work in both operating systems at the same time.

Stay away from MacKeeper and when you want to remove apps, use this tool as it does a great job at getting all files during removal. https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Take advantage of your local Mac Genius too if you have one convenient. No need to be frustrated with your Mac.

If you insist on having any virus software, look at Sophos. They have a nice free option.

Comment

Both my CAD and PDF files are saved to my Dropbox(cloud) account. Both are accessible through Windows and Mac. Would I still need to switch OS to send files?
                          No they would upload to both. I use dropbox as well. But you would have to shut down the computer and reboot any time you wanted to switch OS. With Parallels you can run them both together.

Comment

I appreciate the input. Lot and lots to learn here. I'll be hitting up a Mac Genius in my area soon. There's an Apple store in La Cantera Mall. I'm hoping they will have classes I can take.

Comment

You made the right choice. Drop the pc programs and you are GTG.

Comment

Working...
                              X