Shift work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift work

This is not the type job I wanted but may have to take it if hired. It’s an industrial plant. Two night shifts then two day shifts. 12 hour days. 4 days off.

If selected they want me to train with the understanding if I stay and prove myself, will be trained to become a plant operator.

shift work takes a special person, have to be focus and dedicated to the job, if you have a family and hobbies you love then be ready to put them on the back burner, if your not into the job you will be miserable

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
      shift work takes a special person, have to be focus and dedicated to the job, if you have a family and hobbies you love then be ready to put them on the back burner, if your not into the job you will be miserable
      Yeah I’m really having to think this over carefully. I need work so bad but it’ll come at a high cost for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
        I just applied for a job. I can do a lot of hobbying and family time during those 4 days off, as long as I don't get called for overtime, but then again, overtime pays good. 4 days off and you have a 12 day vacation.

Comment

I have stayed away from plant jobs in the past due to the schedule but if it came down to being unemployed I wouldn't hesitate. That schedule will leave you plenty of time to interview other jobs that might come up down the road if you aren't happy with the schedule.

Comment

Insomnia, heart disease, depression, and other issues have been attributed to shift work in recent studies. I am at a conference now and we just went over this with a professor from Cal Northridge. Just be aware. It can also be tough on home life. I have done it for over 20 years. You have to prepare yourself.

Comment

Sounds like a gravy job to me. I haven't worked anything less than a 12 hour shift in 20 yrs. Unless it was knocking off for six hours to break tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                Sounds like a gravy job to me. I haven't worked anything less than a 12 hour shift in 20 yrs. Unless it was knocking off for six hours to break tour.
                Same here, but I do get 28 days off at a time.

Comment

What are the hours? Not sure I'd like the two day shifts then two night shifts. That seems like a LOT Of switching back and forth.

I have worked 12hr shifts for most of my 16+ year career. We do 4mo/days and 4mo/nights. We work 7 shifts every two weeks with every other weekend being a Fri/Sat/Sun off. I like it for the most part. Once my kids finish high school and are on their own, I'll really like it.

Comment

The switching back n forth from days/nights/days was always the hardest part on me physically. You have to make out a sleep schedule that works for you and stick to it, no matter what.

I always went through phase with how much I liked it. Sometimes it was awesome for me making family and hunting time and sometimes it was horrible. Just luck of the draw on how it falls. I would have stretches where I made it to things that very few dads got to see and then I'd have a spell where I seemed to miss everything.

If you do it, work hard and give em what they pay you for but it doesn't mean you have to do it for the rest of your life.

Comment

To me it all depends on your situation at home. The only part of shiftwork I don’t like is the time away from family. The switching from nights to days is easy for me. I love the random days off in the middle of the week. It lets you get stuff done without fighting all the crowds.

Comment

It’s what you make of it but it does effect your Family. I know several people over my 36 years of the rotating shift work that went through several wives. It appeared to be hardest on the younger families. In my case the money and benefits is what kept me at it. Good luck!

Comment

If you are single and no kids it’s not bad. I’ve been working DuPont schedule for 11 years. It’s been a great living but now I have two young children, and am desperately trying to get a day job. It provided my wife the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, which was also great. But when you make the money and up your lifestyle then It’s hard to go back. If I did it over again and knew then what I know now, I wouldnt have taken the job. We are slowly scaling back and once my truck is paid off, she should be back at work and I’m leaving my job. Have to work for probably half the money but oh well. I’ve learned money isn’t everything, especially after burning myself out working obscene amounts of overtime. Missing holidays, family events, and ball games is killing me. Some of these times are things you can’t get back.

Comment

My wife says we would probably divorce if I didn't work shift work. She likes the time without me there to watch her TV shows and I like being off during the week to get things done I can't do on weekends. I can sleep ok during the day, I have trouble sleeping through the night.

Comment

I’ve been driving 350 to 500 miles several times per week trying to find a decent paying job near where I want to live and work. And it’s not anywhere near Dallas. Used a lot of gasoline in the process. Filled out so many applications, knocked on doors, left contact info with note at so many businesses and even large ranches. Even tried leaving my info at churches. With permission had my info posted even on the front door of one store. Numerous businesses have let me use their tack boards to advertise my job search. Placed paid ads online and at least in one newspaper.

To say I have searched hard for a good paying job would be an understatement. Been doing this for months.

How hard does one have to do this to prove you are dang well determined? LOL Sure have busted my butt searching.

Comment

Working...
                              X