HVAC advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC advice needed

I’m building new - 3095 sqft living area. My builder asked if I wanted (1) 5 ton zoned unit or (2) separate 3 ton units. Cost is the same. I know as much about HVAC as I do women. I can easily turn them on. That’s it.

I'd go with 2. When 1 goes down u still can stay cool on the other side of da house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

If same price and same seer ratings/brand/models for either option definitely go with 2 units.

Best single unit set up like that are the complete variable speed units with modulating damper system.

Comment

There are many variables (insulation r factor, number/type of windows, vaulted ceilings, etc) but lots of folks go with 600 square foot per ton.

Comment

We have 3500 sqft in our house and went with 2 units. One on each end of the house. I believe that will be your best bet too.

Comment

Thanks, fellas.

Comment

Are you going foam encapsulation or traditional insulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Is it single or 2 story. Either way, 2 units. 2 story, don't even consider 1 unit.

Comment

My home is 2 story. We have 1 zoned unit. We replaced the original unit last year and converted to the zoned system. While it is a great improvement and my house is comfortable, 2 would be even better I think.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

I have a single story with two units. As mentioned above if ever a problem I can close a hall door and the working half will be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      My home is 2 story. We have 1 zoned unit. We replaced the original unit last year and converted to the zoned system. While it is a great improvement and my house is comfortable, 2 would be even better I think.

oh look...what is that?

The absolute best zoned single system will be a variable speed unit. As elliscountyhog said. The best comfort level is achieved with variable speed systems. Pricey, but in the not to distant future I think that is the only way they will be made.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                        The absolute best zoned single system will be a variable speed unit. As elliscountyhog said. The best comfort level is achieved with variable speed systems. Pricey, but in the not to distant future I think that is the only way they will be made.
                        Yes sir. It was as much as a car....but, oh what a difference.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Without a doubt go with 2 systems.
                          IMHO..... without proper return ductwork a residential zone system is a waste of money. By proper I mean a ducted return, not a central return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

HVAC Tech

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                            There are many variables (insulation r factor, number/type of windows, vaulted ceilings, etc) but lots of folks go with 600 square foot per ton.
                            I agree , I would definitely go with two. Just get the highest seer rating as possible so as to save you money in the long haul. I would also ask to have the home pressure tested . This will force air into your ducts ,your supply ,and return plenums. The test will find leaks that might be unseen and expose any bad seams or loose connections. This will also save you money in the future. I would also ask them to place UV lights in your air handlers. This will kill mold from blowing through your home. For the heat electric is the easiest method to heat the home but gas would be more efficient. Also get a service contract so you can pick up your phone and have a technician out to your place when you need it the most . This will also save you money. They will come and check your gas pressures and test your equipment. Change your filters and when cooling your home in the summer make sure your drain line is pissing like a three year old. I just wanted to give you some mor info . Good luck hunting this season and congratulations on your new place.

Comment

We went three days on the hottest days of the year without AC because our one unit went down, if I had a choice I would go with two units.

Comment

Working...
                              X