Wish there wasn’t so much hatred/distrust towards LE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish there wasn’t so much hatred/distrust towards LE

Yes, there are some bad apples, which I’ve had the displeasure of encountering, but am mature enough to know you can’t lump everyone together no matter what group it is.

One of my closest friends is a LEO and I’d trust the man with my life as I know he would trust me with his. I’ve been asked in the past to join an agency, but it’s not my calling. I’m thankful for those who have that desire and calling on their lives.

How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful? Going to try and introduce them to at least one high ranking officer.

Taser

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think someone like you described could ever be deprogrammed.
      Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
      Yes, there are some bad apples, which I’ve had the displeasure of encountering, but am mature enough to know you can’t lump everyone together no matter what group it is.

One of my closest friends is a LEO and I’d trust the man with my life as I know he would trust me with his. I’ve been asked in the past to join an agency, but it’s not my calling. I’m thankful for those who have that desire and calling on their lives.

How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful? Going to try and introduce them to at least one high ranking officer.
      Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        Taser
        Ouch.

Comment

So many people only have opportunity to interact with LEOs at a bad time. They forget that police are just human beings like they are. Try to find a function where they can hang out with one. Better yet, hang out with one off duty. Their kids go to school and play sports with yours.

Comment

I know a lot of folks and I don't see what you're describing except in the few that make them have to be that way because it's their job.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

The problem is in certain areas/neighborhoods etc the only interaction with police has been a bad situation. They were going to jail or maybe a family member was. They have been raised to hate/distrust police their whole life. I’m not sure how you ever break into that.

*** A good start would be for some NFL players to stand up and go into some of these neighborhoods and try and improve them. ***

That may not get MSNBC front page coverage though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is why people boycott the NFL and Nike. Nike caters to the lowest common denominator under the guise that LEOs run around and shoot black people for no reason whatsoever. And they believe it because well, it's Nike. They sell a lot of sweatshop products that way.

There is no excuse at all for someone who really cares about LEOS to actually support Colin Kapernick, Nike and the NFL. Period.
                Last edited by Hunting4fun; 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  The problem is in certain areas/neighborhoods etc the only interaction with police has been a bad situation. They were going to jail or maybe a family member was. They have been raised to hate/distrust police their whole life. I’m not sure how you ever break into that.

This right here.

That and my pet peeve. Being out and about eating,getting gas etc and mom or dad says to their kid....

Better be good or hes gonna take you to jail!

[emoji35][emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    This right here.

That and my pet peeve. Being out and about eating,getting gas etc and mom or dad says to their kid....

Better be good or hes gonna take you to jail!

[emoji35][emoji2959]

Exactly!

I hated when folks said that and i never really knew how to respond in front of the kids! Im glad to be retired now and wont miss that situation! I will miss interacting with them without thier parents though. I always enjoyed that part of wearing a uniform.

Comment

I learned one thing after 30 plus years as a LEO in San Antonio, I worked by choice on the west side where lots of good people live surrounded by a handful of thugs that really care for no one, they will steal rob and rape n their own neighborhoods and the preach/Prada rice hatred towards the Police. My last 11 years were in the traffic unit first 3 still on the west side last 7 on the north side different social economic area. You could wave at kids on the west side and they didn’t know whether to wave back or look away, also you’d hear from the lesser educated lower income areas parents tell their kids “ look there’s a cop he’s gonna take you away” on the north side parents would tell their kids look there’s ya police officer if you ever get lost go to them. I had more than several line complaints for going and telling those kids in front of their parents” no I’m not gonna take you away “ then I’d tell the parents if your child grows up fearful of the police and get lost or get assaulted physically or sexually do you think they’ll wanna talk to us or ask us for help? I’ve spoken to kids away from their parents and older kids and young adults that say I don’t know why I hate you but it started with what we were told at home.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        Exactly!

I hated when folks said that and i never really knew how to respond in front of the kids! Im glad to be retired now and wont miss that situation! I will miss interacting with them without thier parents though. I always enjoyed that part of wearing a uniform.
                        More than once I would tell mom not to say that. That I only arrest people who do bad things like not take care of their children away. I would always look the parent in the eye.

Thankfully I'm in a position now where I don't have to deal with folks with a pulse so they can't argue or complain

Comment

Never had but one stop with an officer with a chip on his shoulder and this happened many years ago in the DFW Metro when I was speeding. Hunted, fished, and been checked by Game Wardens many times and I showed respect and never had a problem.

Comment

It starts, when you teach your kids, to say Po-lice...
                            Instead of Police...

Comment

Cops are people to!!!
                              Some are great people, some are rotten to th core ,
                              Like the BP guy that was caught today that is a serial killer ( murdering prostituts)
                              Lately I just seem to run in to the flawed ones, the San Antonio area is having some issues with flawed policemen and ADA’S , some are sex trafficking under age girls and illegal immigrants , some a drunken driving , some are drug addicted and dealing drugs
                              This is endemic of a broken flawed system. Not all policemen are criminals but only a product of the system they work for
                              A supervisory US Border Patrol agent has been taken into custody in Texas in connection with the deaths of four people and aggravated kidnapping.
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-17-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X