Best Practice Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practice Caliber

I picked up bow hunting over ten years ago. Over the past ten years I probably only picked up a rifle once or twice. This past year I have gotten back into shooting rifles. However, I have found the cost can really add up. I would like to continue practicing and I have a place to practice out to around 400-500 yards. However, what do you think is the best caliber to practice with? The main concerns are: 1) ammo price; 2) accuracy out to 500 yards; 3) hunting capability on Texas sized game. I am not looking into getting into any competitions. I also don't have the funds for a custom made long range rifle.

I have a 6.5 CM, 7mm08, 270, 22 LR and 17 HMR. I also have a 223/556 AR but I don't really love the AR platform and prefer to shoot bolt action when practicing.

I have considered the 223/556 route due to ammo price and lack of recoil. However, I am concerned that the lower priced FMJ ammo won't be that accurate and therefore won't make sense to practice with. I also have considered the 308, but considering I already have a 6.5CM and 7mm08, I have trouble justifying a caliber that has such similar ballistics.

Also, for those that will tell me to reload, I have thought about it, would love to do it, but don't have the time or a good area to actually reload in my house. As such, this is not a feasible option for me at this time.

Any thoughts/recommendations are welcome.

If you don't reload, shooting rifles accurately to 500 yards and cheap don't really go together. Even reloading with quality bullets is not real inexpensive.

So i guess what i am saying is that if your main concern is cost, you need to find the time and space to reload

Comment

PS fmj 223 at 500 is basically a joke

Comment

out of of the ones you listed, 270 will be the cheapest and get you out to 500. cheap federal blue box is probably where i would start for pricing.

Comment

I would go the 6.5 route. Fairly cheap ammo, and I am a firm believer in practice with what you will hunt with. The 6.5cm will kill anything in Texas with the exception of some exotics. Distance is not an issue either considering guys shoot them out to 1000.

Comment

6.5CM if you don’t reload. Hornady Black ammo is $20/box and can be found for as low as $14. It’s a budget LR round. Buy a bunch when you find it. Nothing is cheap about shooting in volume. You gotta pay to play.

Comment

Buy this. Then use your 6.5 or 7 and a lot of .22 ammo.

Comment

The right 22lr with a good scope can be great practice. Shooting sub sonic match ammo is fun and the least expensive. Remember form and trigger pull is still quality practice. I have a savage in 22lr and a cz in 17hrm and both are large amounts of fun to shoot while having a feel similar to that of my hunting rifle.

You mention a 223 but you don't have a bolt gun. It's good but quality 500 yard ammo isn't commonly found in the type it's loaded for. Now if you could hand load some 69-80 grain in a fast twist rifle it would be the ticket.

You have a creed which is going to be very hard to beat for factory long range ammo and price. Actually all but impossible.

The above two would get you headed down the right road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've shot some accurate FMJ in .223 for target practice so I have no doubt it's available. Out to 500 yards probably not. That's a long ways to be shooting any .223 ammo. Especially if you plan on making hits on large game animals with it that far away.

.243,22-250,.308 would be my top three choices for readily available ammunition and not terribly expensive. Plus the recoil issue. Although your 6.5 Creedmoor and 7-08 would probably be about the same as far as recoil goes. I don't know how expensive they are to shoot though.

Comment

You say practice...practice to HUNT or are you more concerned with grouping? I agree with okrattler's response. Of course if you are planning those LONGGGGG "ear hole" shots on hogs, that's a different matter, lol! Enjoy.....

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I’m nOt looking for anything too serious. I am just wanting to be able to go to the ranch and shoot without spending $75-$100 on ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...tage-press-kit

Buy this. Then use your 6.5 or 7 and a lot of .22 ammo.

I’d buy this but I don’t have a place to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                          Thanks for all the replies. I’m nOt looking for anything too serious. I am just wanting to be able to go to the ranch and shoot without spending $75-$100 on ammo.
                          Best of luck.

Comment

SWFA 10x and a cheap ammo your AR likes, mine does well with hornady frontier. It'll get you to 500 easy and barrel life (which I don't see mentioned above) is great.

-or-

bolt action I would go 308. Cheap ammo and great barrel life. If you think you may be going out passed 500 often, go with the creedmoor.

Personally I would stay away from hot rounds like the .243. its my favorite caliber, but **** she loves cooking barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by larryz71 View Post
                              SWFA 10x and a cheap ammo your AR likes, mine does well with hornady frontier. It'll get you to 500 easy and barrel life (which I don't see mentioned above) is great.

-or-

bolt action I would go 308. Cheap ammo and great barrel life. If you think you may be going out passed 500 often, go with the creedmoor.

Personally I would stay away from hot rounds like the .243. its my favorite caliber, but **** she loves cooking barrels.
                              Oops just read requirement #3. Go 308.

Comment

Working...
                              X