• Show
Clear All

Nice!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I like it. You did a good job.

Comment

That turned out great. I am going to be building a couple of these now. Just been thinking about what else could be used besides paint for more duarbility. What about using resin to coat sheets? Be a little more expensive but it may provide more waterproofing?

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
            That turned out great. I am going to be building a couple of these now. Just been thinking about what else could be used besides paint for more duarbility. What about using resin to coat sheets? Be a little more expensive but it may provide more waterproofing?
            I liked paint for its waterproofing and durability. Would the hardness of resin work to your disadvantage? Cracking issues? I haven't fiberglassed anything so I don't know much about that.

Paint is also really cheap. People usually have gallons sitting in the garage from projects. I really built this for the value, not the longevity - although, I do think it will last a couple seasons, minimum.

Comment

wow this is awesome!!!! I cant wait to see the finished product. Might have to do this.

Is that plastic pretty reliable in terms of not leaking or letting water in?

Comment

As far as durability and weatherproofing goes the paint will be fine, get a 100% acrylic Satin or Semi gloss exterior paint. The higher the shine=the higher the resin which will make it more flexible and weather resistant. Don't use interior especially flat and no oil base.

Also the plastic really isn't needed. It will keep the paint from bonding to the panels. Also the paint itself will seal the roof good enough. I would just make sure to have all the seams on the sides and add an additional heavy coat to the roof once the first application dries.
                Last edited by KactusKiller; 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

What about dying the sheets black before using followed by black paint ?? I know black paint is hard to find in the scrap or return bins at the big box hardware stores.

What about wiring a bunch of old free pallets together, then covering them with the paint soaked sheets ?
                  Last edited by wellingtontx; 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
                    [ATTACH]332255[/ATTACH]
                    How did this thing hold up? Did it harden like you expected?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      How did this thing hold up? Did it harden like you expected?

It's held up extremely well. My use of it has been limited but if I encounter a downpour during a hunt I'll scurry out of the treestand into it. The blind looks the same today as it did three years ago. Vegetation has grown up around it to a degree but it's in great shape. I attribute that, at least partially, to the fact that I used higher grade exterior paint from Benjamin Moore. That happened to be what I had laying around not getting used at the time.

Comment

I built a few cattle panel blinds this year and used weed guard as a skin. It worked very well, except for the cows. They went to the material around the windows and tore it up. I really wanted something a little less flappy/soft around the windows and I remembered this thread. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with this idea for next year.

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

Neat blind.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I like it!

Comment

blind

That is a cool idea that I might steal for next season. I have a few questions. Did you build it one site or move it? If you moved it, how well did it hold up? Have you had to touch it up with more paint after each season? Is the roof plastic holding up?

Comment

Working...
                                X