Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you leave your recurve strung?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many suggest hanging your bow horizontal with two points of contact. Some even go so far as to say never by the string only by the riser to minimize and stress or tension on the limbs. I have been hanging mine vertical from a hook or skinny peg since the 1980's. I guess I like living dangerously . Most of my bows hang unstrung on hooks, but two stay strung because we shoot them enough it's just easier that way. If I ever get a shop built I do plan to build a bow rack large enough I can store them horizontally, but that would be the first time in nearly 35 years of trad shooting that I stored my bows that way. I guess I have tested fate long enough though and figure I should finally do it the correct way.

I have been using the "fuzzy" side of industrial velcro for my shelf and strike plate. On my ILF bow I have a set screw coming in from the side that pushes out on the strike plate so I can adjust center shot. I struggled with the decision if I wanted to use a rest and plunger. I finally decided to just use a wine cork to make a hump on the shelf and covered it all in velcro for now until I can make up my mind. I made it high enough that I could utilize the riser hole for center shot adjustment. I don't care about legal for shoots because I don't shoot 3D's anymore.

Shelf and rest:

Comment

"Many suggest hanging your bow horizontal with two points of contact. Some even go so far as to say never by the string only by the riser to minimize and stress or tension on the limbs."

It gets confusing - I have heard the recommendation to not hang a strung bow horizontally by the string. I have heard other bowyers say just the opposite. For example the "bow care" videos on Bob Lee's website specifically says to hang it horizontally by the string. I personally cannot see how either way would put stress on the limbs. Seems to me as long as you don't lean it up in a corner the bow will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
        As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Short distances and work backwards?

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        At the house, my recurve is left strung all the time, hanging by the string on a bow rack.

I used to take it down for travel, but now I have hooks on the back of my front chairs, and hang it from those during travel from the house to wherever I am hunting. If I know I am going to be stopped somewhere and my vehicle left alone in the sun or anything, I unstring it. Never leave a bow strung up in a hot car.

I use a once piece calf hair rest.

I put my tab on my middle finger... grab my bow off the rack and a practice arrow out of the arrow holder on the floor and head to the back door. I grab my target on the way out. Put out my target and pick a spot in the yard to shoot from.

In 99% of the time, my first shot is coming from 15-16 yards. I may stay there the entire time... I may drift around the yard depending if I feel like I need to work on certain distances, or varying distances. Almost all my work happens at 15 yards.

Lately, I've jumped back to 22 yards after the first 15 yarder... as all my first shots have been bulls or within 1" of the bull on the first.

Comment

I leave mine strong all the time. Hang from cup hooks and l brackets. Rug rest and leather side plate. I shoot almost every other day.
          Attached Files

Comment

How long do you leave your recurve strung?

My recurve gets unstrung after every time I shoot it. Not a necessity, but more of a habit!

I use the fuzzy side of Velcro for the rest and side plate on all my bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With Bisch here. I unstring mine after every use and I shoot pretty much every day and sometimes a few times through the day. After each session I unstring. I do use a stringer on my recurves, but not on my longbows. I have a peg wall that allows my bows to hang vertical, but not touching the floor. Probably not necessary, but it takes less then a minute to string one, so....
              As for rest, I shoot off the shelf with a very thin piece of leather on the shelf and strike plate.
              -The only bow I have that is not that way is my Hummingbird. It came with Velcro on the rest, and shoots great that way, so I left it.

I like the cold shot scenario and at different ranges, but usually from 20-25 yards. Cold = no warm up, deer do not allow you to take practice shots, so I want to know my first one counts as good as any. Then I just play around from 15-30 ish. Also I had to learn to stop shooting when I start feeling fatigue set in. Take a break and then come back to it. If you shoot into fatigued muscles there is a greater chance of developing bad habbits, just trust me on that one.

Comment

I leave my Widow strung because that's what they recommend. My Primal Tech I unstring because that's what Randy recommended. I go by whatever the bowyer recommends. As far as shooting distances, I do it the opposite of some folks I guess. I start at 25 yards...because when I first start shooting I'm fresh and not fatigued at all, so I feel like my form is better. I normally shoot a few at 25, a few at 20, and a few at 15. Then later in the day I try to get in a second session where I shoot one arrow then pull it and shoot again, from varying distances and angles, and try to get a dozen shots or so in that way.

Comment

Last edited by CRM_95; 03-26-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

This is how I store mine. One is just a gun rack, the other is a rack my son made me from PVC.

And then my Widow is strung and ready to go.[emoji106]

Comment

Yikes!! I just noticed there’s an empty shelf on that one rack...

Comment

I had a pic of a bow Mike Fedora Sr. had strung for 23 years & that was 5 or 6 years ago. Bow rack was like CRM_95's & I hsve one that's about 8 years strung, same style rack

Comment

Leave strung unless Im not gonna shoot that particular bow for a few months or Im gonna leave it inside a hot vehicle!

Comment

I'm hard headed. I don't unstring mine. I store them standing on end frequently. I do not baby them at all. A quality bow will tolerate a ton of "abuse" with no problem. I have always shot bob lees and DIY bows I built that are bob lee copycats.

I used to have an old bear aluminum riser recurve with solid fiberglass limbs. That joker would twist up on ya for sure. Seems the laminate limbs are much more tolerant.

Are you having an issue currently? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X