Food Plots in Hill Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plots in Hill Country

Am thinking about planting a food plot near Kerrville area. Does anyone have any experience with planting that could offer advice on what to plant. Thanks in advance.

Land owner and I tried,something called winter mix ? Rye, wheat, peas ,oats
    We got a good stand but it played out about mid December " think deer just mowed it down " no fertilizer, and not enough raking/ dragging them in

Comment

In Hillcountry plant minimum 5 acres and fertilize heavy.

Comment

Oats.........40 acres mowed down by deer, axis, blackbuck.......in Stonewall. Plow the field good and pray for rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

What time of year do you plant the oats

Comment

it all depends on moisture.

Comment

A rain dance doesn’t hurt...

Comment

Drove thru Fredricksberg, Llano, Cherokee on 16 just today............every green food plot had deer on it at 1:00 pm.

Probably anything that stays green.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhntr2002 View Post
                  What time of year do you plant the oats
                  About 60 days ago!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is a good rule of thumb for fertilizer use if you don’t have any soil tests?

Comment

any tips on planting in rocky terrain?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                        any tips on planting in rocky terrain?
                        In rocky soil, if you have access to a chisel plow, rip the the ground a few times. Wait until a guaranteed rain and broadcast and rip the ground again in an attempt to cover the see. I wouldn't recommend discing over rocks. Hard on the equipment.

Comment

Totally depends on rain and soil. Most of the hill country has pretty sorry soil for growing anything.

Some areas are fantastic. Our Ranch In Llano county between Valley Spring and Pontotoc had some of the best sandy loam soil i've seen, but without rain, it was pointless to try and plant anything.

As far as planting equipment, if you have a lot of rock, you're gonna go through a lot of shanks on a chisel plow, but as stated above, you will destroy a disc.

If it's really sandy, a heavy offset disc would be sufficient for primary tillage. No need for a chisel plow.
                          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Anything in particular grow well in the granite soil?

Comment

Early to mid oct. Any earlier you are gambling with army worms, and moisture usually

Comment

Working...
                              X