Archery Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery Barn

There are some real craftsmen here, I'm hesitant to show the stuff I piddle with. But, I need some suggestions.

My friend Joe has been very generous allowing me to hunt his property in NE Texas over the years. It's his fault I hunt to begin with, and now I have taken my first two archery deer there.

My second, Oct 10th? 2014

His archery targets have always sat in the weather:

I try to do things around his place once in a while to show my appreciation, so here was my solution to protect the targets.

It's just framed up with 2X4's (California C style corners to make sure the wasps have plenty of good spots to build :-p)
    The back 1/3 of the roof is metal, the front 2/3 is clear plastic to allow light through.

Here it is a few weeks later after I got a chance to stain it.

Even with my lack if artistic skills, I was able to burn the name of his ranch in the side before staining, and it didn't come out hideous.

I think I will add a small eye bolt in the 2X6 (on the face at the top to keep us from accidentally shooting through the roof)
    And hang a string from it so we can shoot a moving target.

My problem is, his current targets are worn. He will replace them soon, but in the meantime and when the new ones get worn, we shoot holes through the back siding. We thought about thick rubber sheets to protect the wood (Papaw has some on his fence in Plano so he can shoot squirrels in his backyard :-p)
    Or possibly rebuilding the shelves so that the targets sit forward and there is a gap behind them.
    What are your ideas?
    Also, what else would improve it?
    -Matt

Great job! go to Tractor Supply and get a rubber stall mat and cut to fit. Arrow won't get through it.

Comment

Looks good Sir. good idea

Comment

great looking project and gesture. I am thinking rubber mat OR one really large and deep target... Why did you leave that one top board out of the back wall?

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
          Great job! go to Tractor Supply and get a rubber stall mat and cut to fit. Arrow won't get through it.
          This works great!

Comment

Looks good! great idea

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
              great looking project and gesture. I am thinking rubber mat OR one really large and deep target... Why did you leave that one top board out of the back wall?
              I was wondering the same.

Comment

Thanks yall, I will stop at Tractor Supply next time I am off work in time and check that out! What is the easiest way to cut that stuff? With a knife?

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                Why did you leave that one top board out of the back wall?

That has two intentions, the only practical one is that it allows the wind to pass through. Being in the open there is the occasional stiff breeze.

I also thought it would vent heat when the sun is beating down on it. but I think that is irrelevant, I bet enough air can escape through the roof.

Comment

Great idea, and a darn good job on the "barn"!

Definitely do the stall mat. I have one as a target backstop and arrows will poke through, but won't pass through if you shoot it alone.

Comment

nice barn! (until he hits the wood, lol)

Comment

Ha, I got up at 3am this morning, just now rolled up to the house (9pm). I will try again tomorrow to get by Tractor Supply.

Comment

Working...
                      X