No announcement yet.

Incubator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will take a picture when I set my eggs.

I did find some eggs cheaper, however these are Jumbos and I saw a couple of youtube videos comparing JM and other's and JM's were much larger both egg wise and bird wise. Reviews were good to. Got word yesterday he was gathering my eggs this morning and shipping them out today. He said I should have them by Saturday and maybe by Friday.

Comment

This may or probably will sound stupid, but are you raising and keeping them, or can you turn them out and help restock in the wild?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
        This may or probably will sound stupid, but are you raising and keeping them, or can you turn them out and help restock in the wild?
        The ones I am raising will be for meat and eggs. They are not a wild breed like Bobwhite quail. I am going to see how this goes and if it goes well I may raise some Bobwhites to turn loose on my Mom's place. Need a permit though for that.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
          Wish I wouldn't have taken a break from raising quail. You can find them cheaper on ebay. I've bought and sold thousands of eggs on ebay and never really had a problem.
          JM farms sent me a copy of the USPS receipt with the tracking number. Postage was 25.30 so he gets about .50 an egg. Sure would have sell a bunch to make a living LOL

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            JM farms sent me a copy of the USPS receipt with the tracking number. Postage was 25.30 so he gets about .50 an egg. Sure would have sell a bunch to make a living LOL
            Did he over night them? Priority flat rates are a lot cheaper than that.....

But I do agree that I don't think, unless you had a bunch of quail, that you can make a living off of them.

I used to be happy with $0.25 an egg.... They can defiantly pay for themselves if you can find people wanting eggs
            Last edited by yanta61; 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Did he over night them? Priority flat rates are a lot cheaper than that.....
              After looking at the receipt he sent me a picture of the shipping was 12.65. There are two shipments on the receipt so that was the total for both. So .75 cents an egg.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                After looking at the receipt he sent me a picture of the shipping was 12.65. There are two shipments on the receipt so that was the total for both. So .75 cents an egg.
                I'd be interested in see how big his birds get....

Comment

I will post up pics when I get eggs, hatch and as they grow out. Interested myself. This will will be my 1st rodeo hatching anything.

Comment

The hardest part is brooding them. Once you figure out how to brood them the first few week, its all down hill after that. The only other part is keeping predators from eating them.

Another FYI is when you build your cages or pens make sure and use wire small enough so they cant stick their heads through. I started with chicken wire and lost some to coopers hawks. The hawk would sit in the tree and wait until they stick their head out of the cage, then they would fly down and pull their heads off. Also coons can grab them through chicken wire too.

Comment

I found a guy in Joplin Mo. ships eggs for .35 for less than 100, and .30 for over 100. These are bobwhites, i ordered 300. He said he would ship around middle of May. Sold out till then.

Comment

Were yall able to find a high enough demand for selling the meat?

Comment

The hardest part is brooding them. Once you figure out how to brood them the first few week, its all down hill after that. The only other part is keeping predators from eating them.

Another FYI is when you build your cages or pens make sure and use wire small enough so they cant stick their heads through. I started with chicken wire and lost some to coopers hawks. The hawk would sit in the tree and wait until they stick their head out of the cage, then they would fly down and pull their heads off. Also coons can grab them through chicken wire too.
                          My quail pen I built is made out of 1/4 hardware cloth. My brooder is made with solid back and side with wire front.

As far as a market for meat I plan on only using it for personal consumption.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Couple of pics of the brooder finished
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good

Comment

My eggs came yesterday around 2pm. Well packed and I didn't see any broken ones in the top layer. I took one out and it was about 1.5 inches long. Will set them today at 2pm and see what happens.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X