knife handle replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knife handle replacement

This knife has lost its place in the kitchen drawer and i was thinking of replacing the handle. It doesn't look right to me. The blade is "precision hollow ground stainless steel".

Any suggestions would be appreciated as i haven't tried a project like this and have a lot of admiration to the blade masters on here. I'm not even sure how to remove the current handle. Thanks GS!
    Attached Files

Hard to tell for sure, but those look like cutler's rivets. If it was me, I'd drill out the centers of the rivets with maybe a 1/8 or 3/32 bit and go from there taking it apart. Whatever size the holes in the tang are, I'd use that size pin stock for the replacement.

Comment

Id grind the head off pins. Fast and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        Id grind the head off pins. Fast and easy.
        Wouldn't work if they're properly peened. Drill em'.

Comment

Thanks I will drill them.

Comment

The cleaver I just did, had Corby (sp?) screws in the handle. Center drilled them with a 1/16" bit and then started drilling with a 3/8" bit till the head spun off, then punched the pin through. Replaced the handle with 3/16" pins.

Comment

I'm working on several similar, cheap Chicago Cutlery Taiwan stuff, $20 for 10 at Traders Village.

Rear is new Mesquite handles and pins, in the middle were the old pins, the old handles showing I just ground off the heads. That is 3/16 brass rod from Lowes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X