Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    I am a teacher, I have a LTC and I would do this with no incentive money added. Where I work, in a portable building and no fencing around any of it, I do definitely feel unsafe as our doors are open or unlocked all day long. Unfortunately my stuff I use for protection is locked in my pickup about 75 yards away!
    98% of southern California schools are built like this.
    Wide open to the surrounding community
    There is no central entry point

Comment

My wife is a teacher and thinks its ridiculous she is deemed responsible enough to be allowed to carry anywhere she wants up to the door, where all of a sudden she can't be trusted with it(according to others).

We are all for it, there are already plenty of teachers out there with permits...simply lift the restrictions.

The thing that bothers me is the way the question is being phrased, it might make it seem like we are trying to arm teachers in general and not simply allowing the option for those already licensed to simply keep walking past the door. Bet that might sway a few more votes towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
        I’m assuming your a teacher? How does the teaching community feel about it?

I personally do want teachers to have the opportunity to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a teacher and high school coach I spend a very large portion of my time in a “gun free zone”.

I feel that this is the last line of defense standing in the gap between children and evil forces who would want to destroy them.

As a qualified and proficient gun owner, licensed by the state of Texas to carry, I am stripped of the very tool I would use and defend myself and the ones I care for.

Should all teachers be armed? ABSOLUTELY not! Arm appropriate and qualified personnel.

Gun free zones don’t work. This is the most logical and cost efficient solution to protecting children and greatly minimizing school shootings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rhp997 View Post
          Should all teachers be armed? ABSOLUTELY not! Arm appropriate and qualified personnel.
          How about we go the other way around.
          Why don't we train soldiers to teach kids algebra and about the magna Carta then we will have expertly trained folks on how to remove a threat from a situation and our kids will be adequately educated at the same time.

Comment

All for that too. Several of the best teachers on our campus are former military.

Comment

All for that too. Several of the best teachers on our campus are former military.

Good buddy of mine (actually friend since 6th grade) was a SeaBee (electrician) in Navy for 12 years before he got out and is now a high school math teacher.

My dentist was a captain in the air force but she never touched a gun.
              Says she only joined to get them to pay for dental school.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I won’t disagree that LEO should be better protectors. Statistically speaking, the less a gun is handled the slimmer the chance of a negligent discharge. There should be no reason for a trained teacher to be fondling their gun except in a very specific circumstance.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting arming every single teacher. It would be a voluntary issue after vetting and training.

CNN'S own legal anelist say Trump wants to put a gun in the hand of every teacher in America, it's BS of course. He never said this words and CNN knows that but that is why there is this misunderstanding in the country about thus idea.

Comment

As for Negligent discharge accidents, easily preventable. Don't have a chambered round in the gun. Maybe don't even have a mag in the gun.
                  In an active shooter there will be time to either rack a round in load a magazine. That takes seconds to do and prevents accidents.
                  I'm not a gun guy so my terminology my be a little off

Comment

"negligent discharge accident" is something that happens at old folks homes.
                    Guns are triggered to fire or they are not.
                    Its not an accident when they are fired. Theres a sequence of events that have to occur first.
                    Thinking "theres time to chamber a round" is also called being unprepared.

Comment

It might be called unprepared in your home or in your vehicle on even on YOUR person. It's called responsible if your carrying in a school where the only reason to have it in the first place is for defense of an active shooter.
                      In that case, which is extremely rare, there will be plenty of time to chamber a round.
                      I'm assuming you would rather have no carry on campus than to have a small restriction like keeping the weapon unchambered?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        It might be called unprepared in your home or in your vehicle on even on YOUR person. It's called responsible if your carrying in a school where the only reason to have it in the first place is for defense of an active shooter.
                        In that case, which is extremely rare, there will be plenty of time to chamber a round.
                        I'm assuming you would rather have no carry on campus than to have a small restriction like keeping the weapon unchambered?
                        No its unprepared. Period.
                        You want them to be carrying hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          No its unprepared. Period.
                          You want them to be carrying hammers.
                          I want them carrying guns....as many teachers and staff as possible on each campus. That's what I have said for years after every school shooting. If a few restrictions that take literally 1-2 seconds to to overcome is something that would help get guns IN schools I'd be all for it.
                          Now, give a little or get nothing and carry can goods for defense

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            I want them carrying guns....as many teachers and staff as possible on each campus. That's what I have said for years after every school shooting. If a few restrictions that take literally 1-2 seconds to to overcome is something that would help get guns IN schools I'd be all for it.
                            Now, give a little or get nothing and carry can goods for defense
                            Or.. follow the constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                              A couple of flags went off in my head

Another problem that I haven't mentioned is insurance. If you live in a small school district like I do, there isn't an extra dollar for anything. What happens, and I don't know the answer here, if there is an accidental discharge from a teacher and a student is killed? Seems like a massive lawsuit, and maybe a massive insurance liability for the district.

Also, I know the number of accidental discharges is small. My concern is that if you think there is a *****storm now over the AR, what happens if a handgun of a teacher accidentally kills a kid? The vetting you mentioned better be spot on and the procedures put in place better be ironclad.

Come on man So you seriously think the minute possibility of an AD (and subsequent lawsuit) outweighs the potential for an armed teacher to thwart a mass murderer killing a dozen or so children?

Whatever is done to decrease/eliminate shootings at school needs to be done right the first time. Some people seem to be getting a little pissy with their responses on this topic and that doesn't help the discussion, and discussion is what is needed to refine ideas, garner support and get it right. We are talking about a massive public investment, the public perception of firearms, and ultimately, the lives of our kids.

The left is known for knee-jerk reactions. Now is not the time for the right to fall into the same trap.

I understand where you are coming from with the “knee-jerk” comment...unfortunately that’s exactly what this is all about and we need teachers (pre qualified, proficient and properly vetted) that are willing to protect our children, at least be given the opportunity to.
                              As a teacher and high school coach I spend a very large portion of my time in a “gun free zone”.

I feel that this is the last line of defense standing in the gap between children and evil forces who would want to destroy them.

As a qualified and proficient gun owner, licensed by the state of Texas to carry, I am stripped of the very tool I would use and defend myself and the ones I care for.

Gun free zones don’t work. This is the most logical and cost efficient solution to protecting children and greatly minimizing school shootings.

Bingo! Very well said. There’s no way I want EVERY teacher to be armed...in fact that’s downright scary. That being said, someone like you should definitely at least have the right to protect children, yourself and others.
                              My thoughts in bold

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                "negligent discharge accident" is something that happens at old folks homes.
                                Guns are triggered to fire or they are not.
                                Its not an accident when they are fired. Theres a sequence of events that have to occur first.
                                Thinking "theres time to chamber a round" is also called being unprepared.
                                So what is this....

Minnesota 3rd-grader Fires Officer's Holstered Gun at School
                                February 6, 2018

Authorities are investigating how a Minnesota third-grader managed to discharge a police officer's holstered gun Monday afternoon while participating in a group activity at school, reports ABC News.

The officer was talking with students at the Harmony Learning Center in Maplewood, MN -- about 15 miles east of Minneapolis -- when the student pulled the trigger of the officer’s weapon, ABC affiliate KSTP reported, citing a Maplewood (MN) Police Department news release.

Comment

Working...
                                X