Who is going to try and kill a deer with an air rifle next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    Where are we going to put the exclusive blowgun season?
    This "weapon specific" season along with youth season, MLD, late doe and spike, is getting silly.
    We all have 5 tags.
    It's about time to start DEER season on the same day Archery and MLD opens, and carry it thru till whatever date the commissioners think that all hunters have had adequate opportunity to fulfill the "hunting" experience.
    Sorry, I was wrong about the 5 tags.
    Those with MLDP, pretty much have unlimited tags, and still have their 5 tags outside their MLDP property.
    Again, this is getting silly.
    Just raise all license fees $7 and let everybody hunt.
    AIRGUN season will run concurrently with archery season, except airgun season will run at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
      You mean like felons? Can a felon even purchase a hunting license? And are felons allowed archery? I know they're not allowed to be in possession of a firearm.

Is there any reaaon a hunter would choose an air gun vs rifle or bow? Are there some advantages with an air gun?
      I guess you never watched Dukes of Hazard

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
        But you can’t with a regular 22. What damage is an airgun going to do? I know they are a different breed these days and are not the $200 rifles you buy at academy, but ****.
        My buddy, Edwin is one of the main forces behind this. He has airguns in his shop that launch 300+ gr. bullets at well over 900 FPS. His shop is full of mounts taken with airguns.

Comment

You guys need to educate yourself on air rifles. I have one that shoots a 147 grain pill at over 1100 feet.
          Last edited by glen; 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
            Almost 700fps 1/2 in bore with about 200g lead ...is in same range some of the subsonic shells with silencers are talking about ...shooting hogs...

I would almost bet they would blow right through a Texas deer.. range will be the limiting factor...
            Heck guys no legal work no $2oo. permit no silencer to buy and deal with..
            Probably same money and less noise than above..

Thers some stuff on You Tube
            Actually, the really good ones start at around $2k and, while not super loud, they're still pretty dang loud. They do make cans for them.

Comment

You can get into a good big bore air gun for about $1k. You still have to buy a power plant and other things so you could be in one for about $1600-$1700 that is more than capable of ethically killing deer and hogs. I want a .45. And I would bet far less wounded deer with an air rifle than broad head. Most carry more energy than subsonics out of a 300 bloackout
              Last edited by glen; 01-28-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to see them in WalMart.!!!!!!

Comment

Watch a red stag get both shoulders broke with one. Made it about 15 yards. Shot was about 35 yards away—. 50 cal gun. I think he said it was a 260 grain pill

Comment

I remember a few year ago a guy shot a big buck in San Antonio at the air base and didn't recovery it. An airman saw it a day later and stsbbed it with a knife and TPWD threw the book at him because a knife was not an approved weapon for deer. Now they going to let you shoot one with a big bore bb gun. Go figure.

Comment

This thing looks sweet! I'd want one for 50 yards and less. Plus it would fit in my cherrybomb pack nicely ;b)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
                        50 cal air rifles are the most powerful and biggest caliber air rifles you can buy. The best 50 caliber air rifles for sale can fire pellets as fast 679 feet per second! The increase in weight of the large 50 cal pellets and amazing speed creates serious amounts of energy. A 225-grain pellet traveling at 679 feet per second creates 230 foot pounds of energy

Louis and Clark carried air rifles.
                        Yes sir. They even go as high as 71 caliber!

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                        The air rifle is what won the West! Lewis and Clark used an air rifle to survive when they were in search of the Pacific, so hunters have successfully been using them for eons.

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/dai...oni-air-rifle/
                        The Austrian Army was outfitted with airguns in the 14th century. Airguns at the time were safer than black powder. I did a research paper on airguns about 10 years ago. I borrowed a couple of big bore airguns from Tom Gaylord (writes now as B.B. Pelletier on https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/), he lives in Burleson Texas. I looked at a 308 and a 458 caliber.
                        One of the guns was later borrowed by Tuff Hedeman to hunt buffalo on a ranch in Texas. Both airguns (and most big bore airguns) were filled using a SCUBA tank to 3,000 psi. Once a year, usually in last fall, there is a long range airgun match just outside of Dallas.
                        If Pennsylvania allows people to hunt deer with an atyl-atyl, I think TPWD allowing airguns in at least a 30 caliber is acceptable.

Comment

I don't think it has been stated yet, but folks have been shooting exotics in Texas for quite a while with them....so there really wouldn't be much of a difference if it passes except expanded legal game. Nothing new to Texas.

Comment

[QUOTE=DRT;13138173]Nope. I don't shoot deer with a rifle. I'm a bowhunters.

Ditto..... Forever.

Comment

[quote=BowPro73;13139870]
                              Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Nope. I don't shoot deer with a rifle. I'm a bowhunters.
                              Ditto..... Forever.

Comment

I have been wanting a big bore air rifle for a long time to mess around shooting. I would hunt with one in a heart beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X