Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally building the deck I've been telling my Wife I would build her.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sure it's stout enough lol

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
      Are you trying to support a herd of elephants? You could have done it for cheaper with 2x4's
      Free steel is cheaper than 2x4's

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
        Are you trying to support a herd of elephants? You could have done it for cheaper with 2x4's
        Not really. I purchased all this steel for under 200 bucks and did the labor myself. I don't think I could've built a wood support structure that cheap.

Comment

Over kill on the framing. That's the way I typically end up. I like it.......

Comment

Originally posted by sling blade View Post
            Over kill on the framing. That's the way I typically end up. I like it.......
            This is one of those situations where it's better to have too much, rather than too little.

Comment

Put French doors WHERE the double windows are. No biggie.

Comment

Here we go. 920 wood to metal screws later... We have wood decking. Never want to do this again. Going into the metal below proved to be a tough task. I've also got 4 different drill bits broke off in the deck in various places. I swear they make some of this steel from ball bearings.

Today we will cut the lip off the steel stair where it doesn't match the elevation of the wood. Cut all of our ends of the wood flat and uniform. Then, get it painted before the rain moves in tomorrow.

I still need grating to go over the AC unit. I am having a tough time finding a "scrap" piece that is strong enough to make that span. Good news is I have a buddy that is in grating sales. Maybe he can get me a "sample" piece to try out. We will see there.

After it stops next week we will hopefully have the underpinning bought and ready to install. The roof will get fabricated this week hopefully as well.
                Last edited by SB09; 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Lookin good! See if you can get some Cobalt drills. They are for drilling tougher material then regular steel bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                    Lookin good! See if you can get some Cobalt drills. They are for drilling tougher material then regular steel bits.
                    Thanks for the information. I will look into those next time I go to drill into steel like this. Our Harbor Freight "all purpose" bits weren't cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                      Thanks for the information. I will look into those next time I go to drill into steel like this. Our Harbor Freight "all purpose" bits weren't cutting it.
                      Let me know what size next time. I can get a few for ya. Whitewright ain't too far to get em to ya.

Comment

Working...
                      X