His first bow hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His first bow hunt

So last year my youngest called me out. He asked why I never shoot any deer. Well, with a wife and 3 kids that are very, maybe overly, successful rifle hunters, I don't have freezer space...plus I was hooked on bow hunting most of my life yet I lack the opportunity and time.
    Last year he pressured me to the point I just said fine. At the last minute I grabbed my bow with no other preparation. No blind, scent killer, or anything else I've always deemed essential to a successful bow hunt. We found a spot where the wind was right and sat on the ground just off some heavy trails between feeders. I showed him what I knew about setting up like this, and that didn’t take long.
    A hour passed , a thirty yard shot, and a young buck was down. I was more surprised than anyone could of been.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. He’s 13 years old and ready to Bow hunt!!
    Great friend and neighbor invited us over for a sit. Hunting from a pit blind, probably the coolest setup you’ll ever see, we waited. A little doe entertained us and allowed for some practice draws. Then out of nowhere, a hippo came in. When eyes are at dirt level, looking up, you would of seen a hippo too.
    A gasp of air is all I heard out of my partner. He drew, waited, and released!! “Thud” great hit!!!

Two minutes later and heart rate slowly returning to normal when out came 3 more “hippo” size sows and about 20 young ones. Son looks at me and asked , in a octave lower tone,“ you want a small one for the Traeger”? I laughed and said sure” Go on with your Bad Self!!!” I THOUGHT this will bring him back down to reality. Those little ones are tough targets. As he anchored, I thought to myself,don’t just shoot into the group. So I picked the only red one out there and placed my order . 20 black hogs with one red one weaving in and out through them made for a interesting breathing pattern coming out of this young arrow slinger. Then there was silence followed by yet another thud. Sure I was proud and happy even though my expression was one of shock with a hint of “this little #%#|”

Great memories for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! He probably thinks there is nothing to this "bow hunting"

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Thats awesome!Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job with the boy! Congrats to him!

Comment

Nice job congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
              That's awesome! He probably thinks there is nothing to this "bow hunting"

Exactly what I thought lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job!! I've got the same bow and love it

Comment

Pffft...this is EASY!!!

He thinks.

LOL. Great job getting him absolutely hooked.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations
                      Well done

Comment

Attaboy, showed Dad how easy it is

Comment

Now that's a great story, congrats to your young hunter!

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats..twofer

Comment

Working...
                              X