Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Land Near Houston for Hogs & Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Near Houston for Hogs & Deer?

Greetings Bow Benders,

I am recently moving back to Houston. I am originally from South Louisiana. Cajun man use to chasing those swamp donkeys.

I am looking for suggestions on WMAs which are close enough for day hunts near Houston. Ideally looking for area with hogs and deer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sam Houston

Comment

Good luck on the deer.

Comment

SpearChunkaa- what are you saying? Too much hunting pressure?

Comment

You will be disappointed with the public hunting here compared to La.

But, Davey Crockett and Sam Houston are a couple of good places ro start. Alabama Creek WMA is also good.

Comment

Look online and search “TPWD public land map”, it’ll show any and all public land in Texas. Orange is for dove and small game, and green is for deer.

Comment

Just not many deer. Lots of hunting pressure. If it was me I'd go further north

Comment

I'm new to Texas and been in the Houston area for a few months now. It's been hard to just go out and hunt w/out connections or a pocketful of cash (Sincere question: why isn't there more public land in Texas? What's the difference between TX and other "western" states covered in public land?). But, I scouted Gum Slough over in Liberty last Saturday and saw all kinds of pig sign. Archery only. Went out there before dawn Monday morning and shivered for an hour and a half before I called it quits. Didn't see any movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddies Dad View Post
                  I'm new to Texas and been in the Houston area for a few months now. It's been hard to just go out and hunt w/out connections or a pocketful of cash (Sincere question: why isn't there more public land in Texas? What's the difference between TX and other "western" states covered in public land?). But, I scouted Gum Slough over in Liberty last Saturday and saw all kinds of pig sign. Archery only. Went out there before dawn Monday morning and shivered for an hour and a half before I called it quits. Didn't see any movement.
                  Sam Houston National Forest has 163,000 acres. 30 minutes from Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by jseamless View Post
                    Greetings Bow Benders,

I am recently moving back to Houston. I am originally from South Louisiana. Cajun man use to chasing those swamp donkeys.

I am looking for suggestions on WMAs which are close enough for day hunts near Houston. Ideally looking for area with hogs and deer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
                    Go to the public hunting area of the forum and check out Sam Houston National Forest SHNF.
                    BTW - there are no deer there so don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                      Sam Houston National Forest has 163,000 acres. 30 minutes from Houston.
                      Yes, point taken. I have that option. Some of my thoughts (not based on any hard facts I have in front of me): it's still small relative to the amount of people (read: hunters) in the Houston metro area, the size of Texas (I'm told everything is bigger) and the amount of public land set aside in surrounding states.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                        Go to the public hunting area of the forum and check out Sam Houston National Forest SHNF.
                        BTW - there are no deer there so don't ask.
                        Gotta love the way this man thinks!!!!!! Sam Houston is a great place!!! Just do your home work and invest in some boot time (scouting)

Comment

Hey, I live in Houston and did the gum slough and such as well. Never ventured into sam houston as i got a small area i can hunt, but want to get out there anyways as its closer if I just want to get out after some hogs . If you ever want to meet up and scout drop me a PM. there was also a thread a couple months ago for folks willing to take newer hunters out to areas. Cpuld hit some of them up.

Comment

I really appreciate all the info here! It sure seems as though Texas is light on public hunting, compared to other states I have lived in.

Comment

Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X