High strung pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High strung pig

Anyone have any advice on what to do or give a super high strung FFA pig. This pig acts like it is on Speed...Open the pen and he is gone.....runs from one end of the barn to the next.....tries to climb out of his pen.....No controlling him whem you try to walk him......I've had wild pigs before but nothing like this one. i have given him as much as 4 tablets of melatonin with no change.......ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE
    and i ask that you don't give some smart=% €€ remarks like put him on the smoker...im looking for real advice.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Now you know if you post somin like this here, someone will comment....LOL
    Are you SURE hes not wild..??..??

ok heres my .02 worth, we use benadryl on dogs and cats, will it work on a pig to calm them down..??..??..??

Comment

x2

Comment

maybe. a pigs digestive system is very much like a humans'

Comment

Bbq his butt...

Comment

How many times a week do you get him out?

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
              Bbq his butt...
              There it is...

Comment

Showed one like that and n high school. Just turn him out and let him run. He will get tired, and when he does walk him for exercise and put him up. Just be sure to walk him and wear him out some before you take him into the show ring at the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What milligram melatonin are you giving? We have had a couple that were just stubborn. We have given as much as 80 milligrams of melatonin per feeding and it takes about 2 weeks to start taking the edge off. Make sure it's the soft capsules and open them and mix with his feed. At show time you can give it focus which is great but it's not something you give everyday all day.

Comment

take him out twice a day..once jn the morning ...once in the evening..... ive tried letting him tire himself out....at that point he doesnt want to do anything but go back to the pen...there is no contrilling this pig when trying to get him to walk..

Comment

We showed close to 100 show pigs and I had exactly ONE that we could never get under control. Unfortunately it was the last one we ever showed and was **** good!!! A york with a tiny black dot over one eye. Never did figure out how to get it to slow down. Got it in a scale maybe four times in its life. Every pig we had got weighed every Sunday evening-not this one!!! That cost us as we took him to Austin and classed out of the Yorks and then weighed out of the crosses (which means we got pulled twice). I can only say keep working with it and maybe eventually it will slow down. Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Problem Child View Post
                        take him out twice a day..once jn the morning ...once in the evening..... ive tried letting him tire himself out....at that point he doesnt want to do anything but go back to the pen...there is no contrilling this pig when trying to get him to walk..

I'd tell you what I did to mine when she acted that way and wanted to be stubborn but I'd prolly catch some flack. But I went through 3 pig bats before the show. Ivan Pavlov and controlled conditioning. They learn... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My sons pig was this way if he tried working with her after he fed. He started working her before he fed and she was more controllable.

Comment

this pig is pig 15 for us. we have tried walking. before feeding, after feeding. in the am , in the pm. I have trailed the pig and taken him to several different "new" places in the am and pm......this pig has major ADD issues. My daughter has been able to break every pig we have had....but not this one.

Comment

this is a "blue butt" pig

Comment

Working...
                              X