Copperhead vs Cottonmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    Only males do the combat ritual. When snakes are mating they don't raise up like that. They'll be laying there locked up. They do it to compete for a female so they can mate or to show dominance.
    Why would two different species do that?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      That's not really taboo in Oklahoma, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        That's what I don't know. I've never seen two different species of snake do that so it definitely does seem odd. All I can figure is one was trying to show the other who rules the roost. Competition for food would be my very best guess.

Not long ago I posted up a picture of two rattlesnakes I saw fighting. It wasn't long after that I caught two males and wanted to see if they would do the same thing. I dumped them out and threw a dead rat on the floor to see if either one would eat it. They started doing the same thing the copperhead and the water moccasin were doing. One ended up eating the rat. The reason I did that was because alot of people were saying they were about to mate. But I thought it was more of a show of dominance for other reasons. So I decided to do a little research myself to see what two males would do over food because the time of year for mating when I first saw it didn't add up.

I know maybe to some that might seem far fetched but it for sure did happen.
        Last edited by okrattler; 09-21-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

That's what I don't know. I've never seen two different species of snake do that so it definitely does seem odd. All I can figure is one was trying to show the other who rules the roost. Competition for food would be my very best guess.

Not long ago I posted up a picture of two rattlesnakes I saw fighting. It wasn't long after that I caught two males and wanted to see if they would do the same thing. I dumped them out and threw a dead rat on the floor to see if either one would eat it. They started doing the same thing the copperhead and the water moccasin were doing. One ended up eating the rat. The reason I did that was because alot of people were saying they were about to mate. But I thought it was more of a show of dominance for other reasons. So I decided to do a little research myself to see what two males would do over food because the time of year for mating when I first saw it didn't add up.

I'm guessing they're fighting over territory for food as both are ambush predators. Cottonmouths tend to stay in the same area so it's possible Mr. Copperhead just strolled to the other side of the tracks and the local bully is letting him know it. You know, Street Cred!

Comment

Originally posted by FIRETX12 View Post
            I'm guessing they're fighting over territory for food as both are ambush predators. Cottonmouths tend to stay in the same area so it's possible Mr. Copperhead just strolled to the other side of the tracks and the local bully is letting him know it. You know, Street Cred!
            Or in this case, sheet cred.

Comment

I believe it! Totally different species but cobras do this same act when fighting to prove dominance, a bite to either snake would be death yet the snakes have a sense to avoid that. I have seen the video of a cotton mouth eating a rattler but my goodness that is probably a world record copper right there!!

Comment

i was waiting for the gunshot.......that would have been great

Comment

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

wow that copperhead was big. I agree both of those would have been dead after a short video just to prove my story.

Comment

I can't see the video at work but don't young adolescent moccassins look like copperheads. At least that is what a snake friend of mine told and showed me pictures of water moccassins that looked like big copperheads and as they mature they get darker skinned. So it could in fact be a young and old water moccasin fighting and not a copperhead. Since I cant see the video can you see the water moccassins eye mark on both snakes. Even the young moccassins that look like copperheads will have the discoloration that moccassins do by the eye

Comment

So google water moccassins and look at images and you will see for yourself images that look a lot like copperheads.

Comment

Neither one of those are adolescent snakes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Since I can't see the images I don't know and I am not a snake expert. Only know one on a different hunting website and this discussion came up. You will see some big looking water moccassins that look like huge copperheads. So since it is weird that a moccasin and copperhead are fighting and the copperhead is huge then it leads me to guess that it may just be another moccasin that is colored like a copperhead. If you look at pictures online you will see that it can be very hard to tell if a snake is a moccasin or copperhead by color and pattern. You can tell by the eye patch that the moccasin has... just food for thought. So I wouldn't get hung up on the size of the snakes as to whether it is adolescent or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                              Since I can't see the images I don't know and I am not a snake expert. Only know one on a different hunting website and this discussion came up. You will see some big looking water moccassins that look like huge copperheads. So since it is weird that a moccasin and copperhead are fighting and the copperhead is huge then it leads me to guess that it may just be another moccasin that is colored like a copperhead. If you look at pictures online you will see that it can be very hard to tell if a snake is a moccasin or copperhead by color and pattern. You can tell by the eye patch that the moccasin has... just food for thought. So I wouldn't get hung up on the size of the snakes as to whether it is adolescent or not.
                              It's is no doubt a copperhead and a moccasin.

Comment

Working...
                              X