Reality setting in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality setting in

As the opening of another Texas deer season quickly approaches the reality of not having a lease is setting in.

For the first time, in something like 43 years, there won't be a lease to go to. All the preparation of packing gear, sighting in weapons, planning menus, sitting around campfires while enjoying an adult beverage, swapping stories of hunts gone by will only be a memory.

No sympathy is needed. We'll still go hunting, but it'll be closer to home. We'll gather around a campfire, enjoy some bbq and cold drinks. We'll be able to sleep in our own beds, drink coffee out of our own cup and hunt in blinds on familiar land.

It's just the idea of not having a place to go... There is no better place to raise your kids and make memories than at deer camp.

I feel your pain. This is the first time 20 years for me and my old man. Had to let our place go this year and it wasn't easy.

Comment

I went through the same withdrawals several years ago. Ended up hunting on a high fence but just not the same!
      I was lucky last year to be able to get on another lease last year and can't tell you how it has helped my attitude.

Comment

This weekend the GF and her son who is 23 came out . I have taken him hunting for pigs and he has done well with that .

This time they where shooting the rifles , He will hunt for a doe this year she will shoot pigs , she likes the deer too much ha ha .. But with that said Heather my GF made mention how nice it was to just enjoy the toy hauler hang out shoot the guns throw horse shoes , play corn hole and just relax .

On our lease we have power and water so that is a very nice item for us . but I can say I looked for two years to find a decent lease . I never got wrapped up in the largest deer type search just something that would work well .

Sorry to hear that you are without a place this year .

Max has never had the chance to shoot any guns or hunt , He is staying with us due to a lack of father support back in Iowa .. With our help he has gotten his GED and will start EMT school soon .

He likes to play video games for hours on end .. I never thought he had an interest in this .. Well I took him out taught him about firearms , taught him to shoot . He figured out its not like a video game at all .

He is hooked now , and willing to pitch in and set his blind up , he is learning about wind, movement etc .

I do not think I could do this without a lease at least not in this way . I agree the memories you make are for ever at deer camp.

His first every hunt
        Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr
        Last edited by HDWRENCH; 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X