Metal stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal stairs

I picked up a side job of redoing some metal stairs. The old stairs are perlin upside down with concrete in them.
    My question is anyone have any ideas for a better step idea?
    So far all I have is rectangle tubing with maybe rhino lining (or something) to help as a slip gard.

Angle iron and expanded metal?

Comment

We use purlin upside down from the way your talking about and use grip tape inside of the shelters we build. Works great but I guess it depends on where your putting them.

Apartments have used concrete filled purlin for decades without any problems.

Comment

Purlins are roof members, girts are wall members.

By "purlins", I assume you mean cold rolled "c" material, turned with the throat up, and filled with concrete.

Texastaxi has it right. Angle iron frame, with expanded metal tread. It would be lighter and have better traction.

Comment

I mentioned expand metal but it's to a shopping center and the owner is worried about high hill shoes.

Comment

Do you have good liability insurance?
            Not sure I would do something like stairs in a commercial space without very good coverage.

Comment

Yes insurance I have. I mainly do metal buildings and metal fences. Just looking for options. The owner wanted something different.

Comment

Metal Grating

Comment

We do stair fabrication here at the company I work for. I know of about a few hundred different stair tread configurations. Just depends what you want to do.

Do you want something open? As in metal grating or expanded metal as been mentioned.

Do you want a closed tread? As in gage metal bent plate risers and pans.

Also, do you want simple and effective or something that is going to look better?

Comment

Rhino lined diamond plate

Comment

Rhino lining might last 2 days after people walk on it in a commercial setting. A lot of codes regulate max opening sizes due to high heels and such. I would stick with concrete filled stair pans.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                        Rhino lining might last 2 days after people walk on it in a commercial setting. A lot of codes regulate max opening sizes due to high heels and such. I would stick with concrete filled stair pans.
                        My bad, didn't see high heel traffic! That's what I get for not reading.

Yea, you're going to subject to ADA requirements with public access. Might want to check in on that before you decide on anything open at all. They usually want a concrete stair, or a closed riser/tread stair.
                        Last edited by SB09; 11-07-2014, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mparks View Post
                          I mentioned expand metal but it's to a shopping center and the owner is worried about high hill shoes.
                          Hill just have to get over it then

Comment

^^agreed

He owns the bow shop too so I was going the extra mile

Comment

I would do diamond plate stair treads.

Something like this:
                              http://www.eberliron.com/category/St...eads/1195.html

Comment

Working...
                              X