Another House Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
    I second the tip about spray foam. We built a new house at the ranch last year and the spray foam insulation is tops. On demand water heater is another thing I am glad we went with.
    We went with the foam and have on demand water heater as well.

Comment

Congratulations to you and your wife on getting to build your own home. It's good to see young folks achieving their dreams.

Comment

Congrats.

We are not too far behind. Listed our house last week and moving in with my mother in law after we get our house sold while we build.

Comment

No tile in showers?
          Trying to start my “last” House this year
          Brown county, texas.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            Congrats, get ready for a fun and stressful adventure!
            -Run a hot water line to the carport for washing pots etc from fish frying or crawfish boils.
            -Don't skimp on faucets, toilets etc. There are cheap alternatives that look good but they won't last and you will be working on or repairing them constantly.
            -lots of outlets, more than you think you will ever need. Otherwise there will never be one where you need it. Cable/outlets placed for wall mounted TV's.
            -make sure your vent hood above the stove actually vents out of the house and not just the kind that circulates through a filter.
            -Custom cabinets. Will cost more than the pre-fab ones but they will hold up and look better.
            -Already have the hot water line to carport planned!
            - My father in law works for Coburns so, he is being picky on the plumbing fixtures my wife pics out!!
            -Will be sure to check on the vent hood
            - We went custom with knotty alder on the cabinets.

Thank you for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              don't allow the a/c unit or the hot water heater in the attic. Put the hot water heater in the utility room with washer/water softner...extra freezer... slope the floor and put in a drain in case you have a water malfunction.

run speaker wire in the attic to spots that may be of future use. use tech shield roof sheathing.
              Water heater is not in the attic, but the AC is. I don't think we have anywhere else for it!? It is going to have some type of alarm if water fills up in the drain pan though.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                We have been in our house for about six months. Just remember that all of those little extras add up at the end of the day. Unless you have a big budget , chose the ones that you will benefit from the most. Good luck.
                I can see exactly what you are saying, we have already cut out some of the things we felt we didn't have to have.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                  Just closed on our loan also. I'm in for the follow and I'll be starting one of these too. Good luck to you brother. We are a family of 6 with 2 dogs living in a 31 foot travel trailer so I feel your pain sir.
                  Best of luck to you and I will be looking for the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                    Wife and I subbed out two homes. 2x6 exterior walls, real stucco, double insulation in attic, vinyl windows. Open n floor plan, good size restrooms and kitchen. Only regret was double front doors. Should of went with one wider front door.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
                    We don't plan on double door, but we are trying to decide if we want a 48" front door. How big do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                      -Already have the hot water line to carport planned!
                      - My father in law works for Coburns so, he is being picky on the plumbing fixtures my wife pics out!!
                      -Will be sure to check on the vent hood
                      - We went custom with knotty alder on the cabinets.

Thank you for the input!

The vent hood thing may not be a big deal to most, just seems to keep the house from smelling up as bad when cooking.

Comment

Use spray foam insulation for your walls and attic ceiling to create a completely sealed building envelope. Will pay for itself over time.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                          Heck yeah! Bout time you start a thread! Looks like you will be a couple weeks ahead of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Excited to see your progress!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post

The vent hood thing may not be a big deal to most, just seems to keep the house from smelling up as bad when cooking.
                            That would be huge for us. We don't like to fry anything inside because of smell!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                              We don't plan on double door, but we are trying to decide if we want a 48" front door. How big do you recommend?
                              A 3' door is adequate for most furniture, but a 4' should give u better clearance when bringing stuff in.

Comment

Also, solid doors on the inside is better for sound, especially rest rooms and master bedroom.

Comment

Working...
                                X