AFCI/GFCI breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFCI/GFCI breakers

First off, I'm having a hard time understanding the functional difference between these two breakers...but that is not my main question.

I installed GFCI breakers in order to pass inspection. Everything worked fine. Inspector said that I needed to install AFCI instead of GFCI. So I switched them out. Now that I have AFCI installed I have two breakers (out of four) that are randomly tripping. I go to turn on the lights and nothing comes on. I go outside and the breaker is tripped. I say random because sometimes I turn on the lights and everything is fine. No issues. One actually tripped over night when nothing was in use.

Any ideas on an issue I may have...besides the fact that they require a $45 breaker that trips when you look at it the wrong way.

Google is your friend!

A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) was designed to protect people and equipment from electrical shock. An Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) was designed to detect arcing faults in wiring, appliances and equipment, preventing electrical fires.

Comment

Originally posted by LWR2 View Post
      Google is your friend!

A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) was designed to protect people and equipment from electrical shock. An Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) was designed to detect arcing faults in wiring, appliances and equipment, preventing electrical fires.
      I know the difference in purpose. I'm lost on the actual difference in how the breakers differ in function...maybe that's because I only know enough about electricity to get me in trouble.

Comment

We have AFCI in our new home and they do the same thing. i guess they are more sensitive or something. but drives me nuts.

Comment

They are more sensitive. Sounds like to me you have a ground and neutral touching and or a pinched wire. could be wires crammed into a wall box when the electrician installed the plugs or pinched wire when hanging light fixtures. it will be a Easter egg hunt for you.

Comment

Yes, they are very sensitive. When we were required to start installing AFCI breakers, our calls back to a house went up quite a bit. One of the biggest causes in our new installs was when the cleanup crew came in and they were using vacuum cleaners. If you dont have any appliances plugged in that use electric motors, it is probably some wires that are too close in a box somewhere. It is a pain to track down especially if you are not familiar with how your circuits are ran through the house.

Comment

I had gcfi in garage and replaced the plugs and breakers with normal ones. Can't run a freezer on gcfi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
                They are more sensitive. Sounds like to me you have a ground and neutral touching and or a pinched wire. could be wires crammed into a wall box when the electrician installed the plugs or pinched wire when hanging light fixtures. it will be a Easter egg hunt for you.
                I guess I'll have to do a quick check and pull some plates off. If ground and neutral are touching I would think that it would immediately trip the breaker...not randomly.

Like you said, Easter egg hunt.

Comment

Might be just enough it doesn't do it all the time, or right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                    Yes, they are very sensitive. When we were required to start installing AFCI breakers, our calls back to a house went up quite a bit. One of the biggest causes in our new installs was when the cleanup crew came in and they were using vacuum cleaners. If you dont have any appliances plugged in that use electric motors, it is probably some wires that are too close in a box somewhere. It is a pain to track down especially if you are not familiar with how your circuits are ran through the house.
                    Correct, no motors. We left bathroom heater and vent on a separate circuit/regular breaker.

Comment

I am dealing with it right now. Currently, I can run my TV and vacuum on the living room circuit, but when I shut the vac off, power surges, and trips breaker, everything turns off. According to the electrician, its because the vacuum was designed to work to previous breaker standards. Either way, I am going to be replacing a few AFCI breakers with regular ones. When it comes time to sell the house, I will just put AFCI's back in.

Somehow we all survived with the old ones, but now the new ones are so great, they are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                        Correct, no motors. We left bathroom heater and vent on a separate circuit/regular breaker.
                        Scott, also check for loose wire nuts in the boxes and even the light fixtures if you dont find any issues in the boxes. It could also be a bad connection on a receptacle.

Comment

AFCI breakers are made to go in the bottom of the trash can.

Comment

if you plug the vac in or unplug with it with it on or any other appliance they will trip almost every time it draws an arch

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              AFCI breakers are made to go in the bottom of the trash can.
                              I am not a fan of them either for a couple of reasons, but they do serve a purpose....and those of us that are required to follow the NEC are stuck with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X