Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking.....
Default Pear harbor

My wife and I along with another couple are going to Kauai this summer. We want to make a day trip to Oahu to tour the USS Arizona umong many other sights. Who has been? What's the best method to do this? Do we rent a car, do we taxi and hit each one? Do we use a tour guide $$$? Is there a national parks pass that gains us access to the historical sites? I'm about to start my Googlefoo to look up, it wanted to ask the group.
chrisgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Rat
Ten Point

Pear Harbor? Never heard of it...!
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

That's where they dock the shrimp boats..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
waterdog
Pope & Young

the tbh spell cops are out tonight! ( Pearl Harbor )

Last edited by waterdog; 12-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
acc05R1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Make sure you get your tickets/reservation months in advance. Very rarely are there any openings once you arrive.
acc05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

isn't that where the GERMANS attcked!!! LOL!
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsknives View Post
isn't that where the GERMANS attcked!!! LOL!
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Pear harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
the tbh spell cops are out tonight! ( Pearl Harbor )

Oh ...Thanks..

Never would have known
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

I've been, but it was when we hit a port there on the way back from Iraq while I was aboard the USS Peleliu. I can tell you that Pearl Harbor and all its sights are worth seeing. Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly how we navigated that whole deal while we were on liberty for a couple of days. We were there in about April of '04. We did not have tickets in advance. I know that for sure. We had no way to get them even if we wanted too. Even then, in the off season for tourists, it was a very busy place. I can only imagine how busy it'd be during the summer. Sorry I'm not much help, other than to say, whatever it takes to see it, I recommend doing it. It's a truly sombering and breathtaking memorial.
Pullersboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
PigPen21
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/South Texas

We went last in October in 2015...really enjoyed it...we actually got free tickets...I believe they give tickets away until a certain time during the weeks, might look into it
PigPen21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
waterdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Oh ...Thanks..

Never would have known
anytime
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #12
Boomerang
Pope & Young

Never had a problem just walking up and getting tickets. Even on Dec 7 you can get out there. Hickam AFB shares runways with HNL, your approach is right over Pearl Harbor. Theyou have ferries that take you to the memorial.

Kauai is a great island. Chicken in a Barrel is worth checking out for BBQ.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #13
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I went back in 1983. Couldn't tell you much about charges and tipping etc.. . I will tell you its a very moving tribute to all of those that died that day. My father was on the Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor. I wished I would have taken him back before he passed. Come to think of it, he might not have wanted to go back. He never spoke of it unless you asked him about it. I miss him dearly.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #14
Eagles1181
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

We went about 5 years ago. Rented a car, and got tickets day of. Wonderful experience. Highly recommend it.
Eagles1181 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #15
Dandy123
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

My wife and I went on our honeymoon on Oahu we stayed in Waikiki we just took a taxi to sight see. Pearl harbor was awesome and we took a horseback ride through the k ranch cattle ranch I think was the name and that was one of the things we enjoyed most. We also did a glass submarine tour and took a Jeep ride through the jungle. Just a few ideas
Dandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

We went a few years ago, when my brother got married on the island.

Rented a car, and spent most of the day at Pearl. Daughter and I did the submarine tour (awesome) and we ran out of time, and didn't go see a couple of the museums on site (there are several). Plan a full day, it's pretty amazing.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #17
HillCoBowHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Georgetown, Burnet

Might have a wait to do some of the tours but it's a sight worth seeing. My uncle and I spent a full day there just walking through everything. One of the coolest souvenirs I picked up there was an American Flag flown on a particular date at that site. You can get one for just about every date of the year.
HillCoBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #18
Cawnlu
Four Point

Hunt In: Gordon, TX

I've been twice....both times I took a day trip from the other islands. Here's my advice:

1. Grab the first plane to Oahu (usually arrives around 7am). Do this so that you can get to the ticket office as soon as it opens. You have to get tickets for the boat to the Arizona, and seats are limited. You will receive a time for you to be at the dock ready to take the boat across. I also liked getting there very early so that I can reflect on what it was like to be standing there early in the morning when the attack occurred (history nerd....I know). It really is beautiful in the morning.

2. Make sure to visit either the USS Missouri and/or the aviation museum. The reason I say that is because you have to take a bus to Ford Island to visit both sites. It's cool to see the original control tower and where the old runway was. You will also see bullet holes in the hangars around the old airfield. The Missouri is also a very cool tour.

You can see everything in 5 hours or so. You may want to get a rental car lined up so that you can see the rest of the island and fly out that evening. The Dole Plantation is in a beautiful area, and the north end of the island is gorgeous. Trust me, you will be a zombie by the time you fly out that night.....you will be exhausted!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's an amazing experience!!
Cawnlu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years in the early 90's. Back then it wasn't too hard to get over to the Arizona, but it sounds like it is much tougher now. Sounds like the same deal though, you take a boat ride over. But whatever you have to do, it is worth it.

I spent a lot of time going to extra schools over on Ford Island as well. The small boat we would ride over there for that would tie up on the old Battleship Row to let us on and off. As said by others, you can still see bullet holes in hangers, and all kinds of evidence of the battle. If you could get over to Ford to take a tour, that would be worth it too.

After that, there are all kinds of neat things to do.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #20
kgrutzmacher
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett, TX / Rocksprings, TX / Public Land

Reserve tickets on the National Park Service Website - that way you do not have to wait for the free ones. Book your own flight via Hawaiian Air to Oahu for the day trip. Leave early - stay all day and then fly back. We rented a car at the airport but it was only a 7 mile drive to the park. Could of Uber-ed it but just like having a vehicle. The Mighty Mo was OK - the whole ship is not accessible. Due to the high winds last month - they would not let us on the memorial (safety) but they did drive us out on the water to see it.
kgrutzmacher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top