Blind setup is finally complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So since I have moved back to East Texas, I never found a good spot to put the ol tank blind and have a good sit to take my wife (and now kids) with me. My feeder was in a spot on a 70 acre pine plantation my grandma owns in a clearing on the main road about mid way through. This property borders my moms place and is probably about 500 yards through the woods from her house. I get the occasional buck traveling trough. It always have the 4 resident does that my mom calls her “pets”. It has not been a very productive spot and I honestly have not ever seen a deer there on a sit. I have concluded that the area I park my ranger and walk in intersects with the path they take to get to it becaus I have been busted many times an it’s always in that direction. To the south is pasture, north is clear cut hunting club and east is another wooded piece of land that I would think would be a good area to hold deer. This year I decided to move the feeder to the west towards moms, about 20 acres was clear cut around 5-6 years ago and it is nothing but overgrown sweetgums and oak saplings. By doing this, I am hoping to accomplish getting on the other side of their travel path and not getting busted as much. I can either walk from moms and approach from the north west or park at an area of an abandoned deer camp trailer house that was there when the land was purchased. But instead of leaving the tank on the ground, I put it on a platform this year that is roughly 5.5’ tall to the base and it is located north west of the feeder rather than north east at the old spot. I’ll try to get some aerial views of the suspected travel path and where the previous spot was and it’s new location. I’m pretty excited to finally have the tank on a level elevated platform and be able to hopefully not get busted as much and see some deer. I get the occasional hog here as well. Had a big group of 4 sows and 40 footballs last year but they were hit or miss and when season was over I quit filling the feeder so they would leave, mom and stepdad were worried of Lepto and the horses they have since the pigs frequented the creek area between her house and my stand.

Last edited by BBReezen; 08-15-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Here is an over head with purple property lines, old feeder marker on east, new feeder marker, old parking spot, new parking spot on north or just walk. Their travel route is in orange. The white outline is another area I think is their bedding area. I have a corn pile in there and got 6 does and two fawns on camera all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a great idea to me. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
          Looks like a great idea to me. Good luck.
          Hope so, I’m getting tired of putting effort into a spot and not seeing anything

Comment

If you have the means to put a food plot out there in front of you, it will draw more deer than a corn feeder will. I have feeders, but kill most of my deer on plots. Good luck at your new spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              If you have the means to put a food plot out there in front of you, it will draw more deer than a corn feeder will. I have feeders, but kill most of my deer on plots. Good luck at your new spot.
              I do have the means, time and space is my limiting factor. The bad thing about the spot my feeder is currently at, just to the northwest is a big hill and I have attempted to plant a pilot in this spot and if it gets a big rain, the sand runs right down the hill and smothers my seedlings. The road coming around from the west off the hill is no longer a road, it has washed out so bad over the past two years. I totally agree with you onthe food plot.

Space is another thing, we have 400 acres right there, the large pasture to the south of the 70 acres I hunt and the woods to the south of it also. Bad this is, it’s so thick andnmy uncle won’t un-*** the dozer for me to clean some things up so I have to pick and choose available clearings and then try to clean things up with saw and weed eater when time permits. Plus uncle and cousin have spots covered up too.

On the 70 where I hunt, you can see a small portion that was clear cut on the east side of the property. I wanted to clear that out and do a large food plot area and put my tank blind there. Again, uncle won’t get the dozer over there for me. So I will just have to go with what I have for now.

Comment

Looks pretty darn good. I think you'll be ok. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                  I do have the means, time and space is my limiting factor. The bad thing about the spot my feeder is currently at, just to the northwest is a big hill and I have attempted to plant a pilot in this spot and if it gets a big rain, the sand runs right down the hill and smothers my seedlings. The road coming around from the west off the hill is no longer a road, it has washed out so bad over the past two years. I totally agree with you onthe food plot.

Space is another thing, we have 400 acres right there, the large pasture to the south of the 70 acres I hunt and the woods to the south of it also. Bad this is, it’s so thick andnmy uncle won’t un-*** the dozer for me to clean some things up so I have to pick and choose available clearings and then try to clean things up with saw and weed eater when time permits. Plus uncle and cousin have spots covered up too.

On the 70 where I hunt, you can see a small portion that was clear cut on the east side of the property. I wanted to clear that out and do a large food plot area and put my tank blind there. Again, uncle won’t get the dozer over there for me. So I will just have to go with what I have for now.
                  I feel your pain. I'm on a 400 acre lease near Good Springs and it's mostly plantation pine with some junk hardwood in the middle. Not much deer browse. We are only able to plot areas that the pine trees didn't live, so optimum wind directions are out the window. Lots of days I can't hunt because of wind direction. That's why I have other places though.....

Comment

Working...
                  X