• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevating house fema

Has anyone applied for this recently

Wondering what the steps are to apply

We've have two or more floods in the past 10 years

Good luck! took my parents two years between crappy contractors and the bureaucracy.

Hopefully it goes smoother for you!

I should add when Harvey put 12inches of water where the house used to be, they were sure glad they raised
    Last edited by mmoses; 10-17-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Messy deal I took a pass

Comment

Who is paying for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Who is paying for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Me, You and everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Yeppers---those of us in the US that pay taxes pay for this and the other handouts too.

But, the homeowners are gonna pay some too when the local appraisal district boosts their home value and the taxes go up. From all I've heard the appraisal districts love this freebie.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              Yeppers---those of us in the US that pay taxes pay for this and the other handouts too.

But, the homeowners are gonna pay some too when the local appraisal district boosts their home value and the taxes go up. From all I've heard the appraisal districts love this freebie.
              Appraisal districts are goin see these as home improvements. You're goin see taxes increase in Harris, Fort Bend, Galveston & surrounding counties rise big time....

Comment

Originally posted by stykshooter View Post
                Appraisal districts are goin see these as home improvements. You're goin see taxes increase in Harris, Fort Bend, Galveston & surrounding counties rise big time....
                I honestly can't see how the property taxes can increase much more in Fort Bend county.

Comment

So it's my understanding that after 2 floods in 10 years they can implement this program or assistance? I have a buddy in SW La that was offered the $30K but it would have been another $90K to get his house raised.

Does anyone know at what point they begin to offer buy outs of property? It looks as though the limit is $250K on a buyout from what I can tell on this document?

Comment

They wont raise the rate, just the appraisal of the home so the total tax amount will increase.

This is the greatest govt scam I have seen in a while. Tax the populace, then take those tax dollars and put them into peoples homes so that the govt can then tax them even further. They are taxing tax money. Ingenious.

Comment

And we rail against folks on food stamps and free health care.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        In a round about way, we are partially paying for this. If they don't have flood insurance, FEMA isn't paying to raise the house. They would have to have flood insurance in force when the flood happened. So, partially it's insurance money. However, NFIP is not self funded. Tax dollars do go to it. Can't remember the percentage off hand though. Congress has taken steps to begin addressing the short fall over the past few years to "attempt" to get it to be self funding. However, that won't ever happen. If it did, private companies would never have gotten out of flood insurance in the first place.

Those who don't have flood insurance will probably get some FEMA emergency funds, but it won't be anywhere near the amount Flood insurance customers who get money to elevate will get.

To the OP: I feel bad for you that you've been flooded this many times. However, in my honest opinion, NFIP should pay you the claim money and ICC money and tell you to fix and raise the house. If you don't they should no longer insure you. Otherwise, they are simply encouraging bad behavior. If you don't do something you are going to continue to flood and get insurance money from a program that most of us help to fund but will never benefit from. It's fiscally irresponsible.

It's a tough situation you are in, and I hope the best for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X