Learning from gout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning from gout.

First off I wanna say gout sucks ***! This is my first real flare up. The intense pain is why I'm up at this hour typing this. My right foot feels like a knife is twisting slowly and wallering around in the big toe joint. I always try to find a bright side in things. Though extremely difficult, I did find some good I can take away from this mess.
    I leave for Colorado in one week on an elk hunt. I can't let this stop me from practicing. So I have been driving around on the four wheeler shooting from a seated position. I found three things that will help me in the long run.
    1- seated shooting. I've practiced it some but being forced to do it has led me to figure out what positions I shoot best.

2- I found out I was over thinking my shooting. Concentrating more on the pain and whether or not I can shake this before I can leave on my hunt. I'm just shooting. Shooting well. Amazing how much I let my mind get in the way.

3- I will be hell on the cotton tails if I shoot well off a four wheeler!

This gout is pure hell. I guess it's also shown me just how dedicated I am to traditional archery. Back in my compound days I wouldn't even think about trying to go out and shoot in this much pain. It sure takes the edge off making some great shots with the longbow.

Best of luck on the trip!! Hope to see LDPs... Hope you get the pain under control.

Comment

Yes gout is a PAIN, I've dealt with it for years. Hope you can get the meds that help and get it under control. Drink plenty of water and watch your diet. Good luck on the hunt and getting past this episode.

Comment

Dang Ken sorry to hear that. You've definitely got a great attitude as you push through though. Hope it settles down before Colorado.

Randy

Comment

I had it for several years but never had a bad flare up until last year and again this year. My right ankle was swollen the size of a baseball. This lasted for 8 weeks. I could hardly walk and would not have been able to climb a mountain. Good luck on your hunt, Hope you find one close to the road.

Comment

Good luck Ken.

Check out this book...
            The 20th Anniversary Edition of Eat Right for Your Type includes food and personalized supplement choices to aid weight loss and healthy gut bacteria and more.

Comment

Get your dr to perform the appropriate tests and get on the Meds as prescribed is the best results for myself. I tried toughing it out for several years with treatment of old school tales. As mentioned earlier for immediate treatment drink lots of water and watch your diet accordingly. I very rarely have a flare up unless I drink a lot and that's a bad habit I don't miss. Good luck.

Comment

Man, I've had gout 4 times (too many) in my life. The first time it happened, I had no idea what it was. It was incredibly painful. Luckily for me, my wife is a nurse and after the second attack, she told me to drink water with lemon juice and baking soda. It's supposed to counteract the high level of purine in your body. The last time 2 times I had gout, drinking this got rid of my gout in about 4 days. I drink it occasionally and I have not had another gout attack in years. Good luck to you man

Comment

Tests don't always show gout

If you have extreme pain in a joint for no reason....you have gout

40 % of ur ic acid test show negative for gout but the patient has it. I have stoped running tests and just treat the patient

Comment

Eating fresh cherries helps. You can also buy a cherry concentrate at health food stores that you can mix with water. This and as mentioned watch your diet

Comment

Steroid shot will knock it out quick
                      Indocin knocks it out in 2 days
                      Allopurinol daily will keep it from coming back
                      Colchicine three times a day wil knock it kit as well but can cause diaherria

Comment

Goit

Originally posted by MC79 View Post
                        Eating fresh cherries helps. You can also buy a cherry concentrate at health food stores that you can mix with water. This and as mentioned watch your diet
                        Works well if you take it within the first couple hours of the symptoms
                        Also will help keep it from coming back if you take it daily

Comment

Thanx for the info Warrington. I have a buddy who suffers through it and maybe he will try a new route when I show him this.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Ken it sounds like you have options. Good health and good hunting. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Ken, I have never had gout but my brother in law suffers terribly from it. I sure hope you can knock it down enough to enjoy your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X