Snake hide for Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake hide for Dad

My Dad killed this snake awhile ago under his house in Galveston and I'm just now getting him all fixed up. This is the first one I've done and very satisfied on how it turned out. Of course I skinned it, salted the inside until dry and then trimmed the belly skin.
    Please give me your opinion and what I should do different on the next one, it was a fun little project. I'd like to see ones that you all have also done. Btw the big hole is a shovel cut. I can only imagine hearing him screaming for Mom to bring him his shotgun. Lol.
    Last edited by ostey22; 01-31-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Was that a .45?

Comment

OP, that looks pretty good!

On the next one, to preserve the skin and make it last much longer, mix 50/50 glycerin and Wintergreen rubbing alcohol. The Wintergreen will help keep the smell down until it airs good. Make sure to scrape as much flesh off the skin as possible. Then pin it inside belly outward. Paint the skin with the mixture and let dry. Then paint it again. After it dries, unpin, flip it over and re-pin outside out. Then paint the outside of the skin and wait till it dries. Then paint again and wait a day or so. If it is still wet, blot it dry with paper towels. Then unpin. It will be super soft and pliable. And you can work it anyway you want.

I salted my very first one back in 1984 (5'-6"). And pinned it out like you did. I still have it on that board. It also got several coats of shellac. But is super stiff too. I have another right beside it that is my second biggest at 5'-8". And is super pliable still. Still got my biggest to do yet at 5'-9".

A buddy of mine who dose some world class taxidermy told me about the glycerin and Evergreen trick. I'll always do that from now on. Glycerin can be got at any cosmetic center including Wally World. It acts as a preservative.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-03-2017, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          On the next one, to preserve the skin and make it last much longer, mix 50/50 glycerin and Wintergreen rubbing alcohol. The Wintergreen will help keep the smell down until it airs good. Make sure to scrape as much flesh off the skin as possible. Then pin it inside belly outward. Paint the skin with the mixture and let dry. Then paint it again. After it dries, unpin, flip it over and re-pin outside out. Then paint the outside of the skin and wait till it dries. Then paint again and wait a day or so. If it is still wet, blot it dry with paper towels. Then unpin. It will be super soft and pliable. And you can work it anyway you want.

I salted my very first one back in 1984 (5'-6"). And pinned it out like you did. I still have it on that board. It also got several coats of shellac. But is super stiff too. I have another right beside it that is my second biggest at 5'-8". And is super pliable still. Still got my biggest to do yet at 5'-9".

A buddy of mine who dose some world class taxidermy told me about the glycerin and Evergreen trick. I'll always do that from now on. Glycerin can be got at any cosmetic center including Wally World.
          I use the same mixture but put the fleshed out skin in a jar with it for a few days. Shaking it daily. Then take it out and let it drip for a little while and then pin to a board, belly skin out til dry. Then trim and mount

Comment

A buddy of mine who dose some world class taxidermy told me about the glycerin and Evergreen trick. I'll always do that from now on. Glycerin can be got at any cosmetic center including Wally World. It acts as a preservative.
            I'll have to keep this in mind for any skins I grab in the future. I bought a few that were nice and supple, but when I tried it myself the skin was stiff as a board since I just salted it.

Comment

No need to salt with the above method. The glycerin will act as a preservative, and keep it soft. That's how the ladies keep look-n young and pretty while we fellers grow old, leathery, and ugly.

Comment

I'm sorry I'm just getting back to this. Thanks for advice, I will certainly try this on the next one.

Comment

I've used the glycerin method before. Works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X