Alazon Bayou WMA???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alazon Bayou WMA???

Has anyone hunted deer here?? I'm a freshman at SFA and just want something close and cheap to hunt. Has anyone killed any deer here or seen anything nice. Or if you know any spots where the deer are active and would like to share please do!! I went and scouted it at the first of the week and found a pretty well used trail next to a creek but thats it. If you have any information please post!

Thanks,
    SFAbowhunter

I went out there tonight and watched for deer moving out into the fields..but didn't see anything..hope i have better luck next time..if anyone sees anything and knows where the deer might be and would like to share please do!

Comment

heres my advise for that place, get you a gps and start scouting. i have been in the woods my whole life and thats one place that just gets me turned around, been lost in there once. there is good hunting there your just going to have to scout and find where they are hiding.

Comment

Alright thanks! Have ever seen them coming out into the open like in the fields?? or are they mostly staying in the woods?

Comment

i dont hunt there very much except for hogs during the spring. i have seen deer out in the fields but not very often, they mostly stay in the woods.

i know it says its an archery only for deer unit but i have personally had an experiance out there with guys using guns. we had 4 illegals come walking right up on us shooting at anything that moved. the game wardens were called and all 4 were arrested for not having id, no hunting license, and prohibited weapons.

Comment

Dang alright I'll keep my I out for more people like that..when you did hunt there was there a lot of pressure on the deer?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
              Dang alright I'll keep my I out for more people like that..when you did hunt there was there a lot of pressure on the deer?
              Hey SFAbowhunter...I got your PM...I have never hunted the Alazon Bayou. The only public land up that way that I have hunted is the Davy Crockett National Forest there off of Hwy 7. Seen a few deer there the times I have been but that was years and years ago.

See if you can get with the Nacogdoches Archery Club (if they still have one) and talk to some of those members.

I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

i have some property about a half mile from there to the north and took a 140 inch 8 point last year and have already seen some good deer this year. So, there are some really great deer in the area and lots of pork! Hunting the pineywoods takes some patience. Good luck!!

Comment

Went out there tonight to scout some areas and check some trails didn't see anything inside the woods...but when i was coming back to my truck i saw a buck and a doe about 60 yards past my truck. The buck was a good size deer and his antlers were already outside his ears so I'm pumped for the season to start! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Comment

I used to hunt this quit a bit but it has been several years. I don't have a type 2 license anymore but I would be willing to show you a couple of spots. I found one area that was loaded with sign- lots of rubs and some scraps. I also saw one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen and have a shed from out there that was from a nice buck. you can get turned arond in the dark, but you can always tell which way is east- just listen for the traffic on Hwy 59.

Comment

That sounds good. I'm new to the area and everyone I have talked to says that it is easy to get turned around in there. I think most of the deer right now are coming out at night or right at dark. Its just too hot right now. I saw those two tonight just out by where you park just right in the lane. And that was at 8:15. A good size buck from what i could tell i didn't have my good binoculars with me forgot them at my dorm. But its exciting to see deer its gets me pumped for the season!

Comment

Went out to scout out there again tonight. I saw the first doe of the evening after only 2 minutes of being there. Drove down the dirt road and there she was just feeding in the grass. Then she eventually spooked cause of my truck but good start to the evening. Drove 50 yards down the road and there were three more deer in the field feeding. One was a buck but wasn't all that big and the others were a fawn and a doe. Then went and checked the trail I have been watching. Nothing new there. So went back down the road to leave and got out to check where I saw the first doe and when I got out I heard deer blowing from the other direction, so I turned around and there were two does just standing there blowing at me then eventually ran off. So all in all it was a great night. The deer seem to be moving great right before dark and coming out into the open!

Comment

I have hunted this area afew times. If you go to the 2 large knolls at the end of the roads, you will be surprised by the deer sign. I know this will sound crazy, but I had a shot at a nice main frame 8 and lost my chance because I stared at it to long. It just walked down the hill. And yes, you can get turned around easy.

Comment

Which knolls are you talking about? sorry I'm new to this area! But thanks for the info!

Comment

I hunted there a LOT durin college (killed deer AND hogs with the bow'n arra out there) and a good friend of mine still hunts out there so I cant tell you where our honey holes are, BUT the biggest deer I ever saw come out of there was killed by hanging a climber on one of the telephone poles by the road!

Comment

Working...
                              X