No announcement yet.

Public Hunting Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe (if I remember correctly in my old age) that ALL of the WMA'S, State Parks, Federal Parks that allow bowhunting allow you to shoot 1-2 does, depending on the bag quotas' for the county.

And I agree with several of the other comments that public land hunting is hard but rewarding. Extremely rewarding if you're 'good enough' to tag a deer out. It takes alot more woodsmandship to hunt public land due to the competition and general availability.
    Yes there are ethically challenged individuals out there but as a true
    sportsman it is our RESPONSIBILITY to help over see the welfare of our public lands by reporting infractions of the law to the proper authorities. If we don't we give our implicit permission to continue to break the law without having done anything to stop it.
    The way of the woods must be learned to be more respectful of it by studying the traits and adversities of the game we are pursuing.
    Sometimes you don't need to hike '5 miles back'. One of my best spots is just 100 yards off the road in some cover so thick others don't bother with it and and I ALWAYS SEE DEER.......
    Work at hunting public land by scouting, studying your aerial maps, topo maps, creek bottoms, lake sides, field edges and have SEVERAL SPOTS you can go to.......in case someone else gets to the one of yours first!
    I love hunting my favorite public spots and will NEVER hunt a feeder or baited area. It's a matter of personal choice and not a slight to others. It makes me feel better about the quality of my time spent in the woods and my communing with my Higher Power.
    Good luck to you in the coming season.

Comment

Big Papa
      what you have just read from all is very true on hunting public land in Texas. I've hunted since my school days and haven't had any bad luck until last year(game warden and park ranger at Cagle) stopped me from parking in parking lot where you launch your boats. I call both the forest manager/TWPD to confirm if allowed (they both say it is okay) but every time i go there Herman stop me and tell me I can't park there while hunting and if I do then my truck will be towed-he even went as far as flashing his gun to show me he is/used to be an officer of the Law. I have ran into other hunters who have parked there, but haven't been confronted yet by Hermann. Very time I go there he tells me I better not be hunting around the area-there are boundaries-which I walk well pass into the hunting area which makes it legal.(just easier to get to area I want to get to without walking 4-5 mile around). I have a lifetime hunting/fishing license and will not put that at stake so I leave. I hunt the archery only area and have had REALLY good luck with hardly any other hunters. When the guns are blasting the deer come running to that area. I remember when SHNF use to be a free place to hunt, but now you have to purchase the APH to hunt any of the type 2 lands. But on the bright side I have over 1million acres to hunt with the type 2 permits-as I see it. Just having land to be able to hunt is a blessing. But I hunt the hard way-off the beaten track with my climber and had deer walk right under my stand and not spook-hard! yes, but well worth it. beat sitting in a box blind hoping for deer to come thru area-I make thins happen for me..after all that is what hunting about? the thrill/challenge or chess game between you/deer...check-mate when all things come into prospective. I know it nothing like having your own land to hunt,but it beats not having land to hunt any day....could be in Iraq!!!! so thank the troops for all they do (former marine sniper here) in keep this land open/free.....just my 2cents

Comment

Working...
      X