6.5 Creedmoor, again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hudson05 View Post
    Isn't it just about the exact same round as the 260 Remington?
    Just optimized for longer VLD bullets... which means shortened case with slightly (1 gr.) less capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
      Just run a 6prc and you’ll do it all day.
      Do what?

Comment

6.5 creedmoor is so last year. gotta have a 6mm now. new 1000 yard record group of just over an 1" was just set with a 6 something or other

Comment

I have certainly become a fan of mine with the 143 ELD-X's...
          Attached Files

Comment

I like the 6.5 CM, to me it seems a lot like the 250-3000 I grew up hunting/shooting with. I am still a newbie to the 6.5CM and learning. I plan on using for deer this year, for reference I am a neck shooter if that makes a difference. How far out do you consider this round effective for hunting?
            Last edited by brushtrooper; 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

If I didnt have my great grandpas 1963 700 264 win mag, I’d be interested in the 6.5 CM. But The 264 with 140vlds is a hammer on everything I’ve shot. I don’t shoot long range so I want see any benefit of either over the other.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                I like the 6.5 CM, to me it seems a lot like the 250-3000 I grew up hunting/shooting with. I am still a newbie to the 6.5CM and learning. I plan on using for deer this year, for reference I am a neck shooter if that makes a difference. How far out do you consider this round effective for hunting?
                So I hear 1000 ft/#s a lot as the "minnimum" energy on deer... Not sure I believe that considering I have killed stuff with rounds that have SIGNIFICANTLY less energy than that at the muzzle...

But lets just pick that 1000 Ft/#s as the "ethical" limit so we can do some quick checking...

I can't find energy data past 500 on the 143 precision hunter at 500 its 1300 per the box... and i'm to lazy to go find a better calculator right now

Prime's 130 they show energy to 1200. It is a little more energy 500 1686 ft/#s

So both reach that 1000 ft/#s somewhere between 700-900 yards...

there is a lot of variables that are going to effect your max effective distance on a critter than the rounds capability. For me personally, i'm confident 600 and in if I have time to prep for the shot... But idk your experience, ability to read wind, ability to make the come up, have you doped out your gun?

Bottom line... I don't want a GOOD shooter shooting at me inside of oh idk 2000 yards with that thing??? if the critter is inside 1k for sure then I would say you have plenty of umph to get it done.

Comment

Need a good bashing thread. I've been a man-bun hater for some time but you swayed me to the dark side.

I picked a starting load from the clear blue sky just to season the barrel and zero at 100 before working a ladder test.

That load produced a 1.5 inch group at 300 yards on shots 9, 10 and 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    Need a good bashing thread. I've been a man-bun hater for some time but you swayed me to the dark side.

I picked a starting load from the clear blue sky just to season the barrel and zero at 100 before working a ladder test.

That load produced a 1.5 inch group at 300 yards on shots 9, 10 and 11.
                    sooo did you shoot the ladder test? ooor just roll with it haha

Comment

Tagged for later.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        So I hear 1000 ft/#s a lot as the "minnimum" energy on deer... Not sure I believe that considering I have killed stuff with rounds that have SIGNIFICANTLY less energy than that at the muzzle...

But lets just pick that 1000 Ft/#s as the "ethical" limit so we can do some quick checking...

I can't find energy data past 500 on the 143 precision hunter at 500 its 1300 per the box... and i'm to lazy to go find a better calculator right now

Prime's 130 they show energy to 1200. It is a little more energy 500 1686 ft/#s

So both reach that 1000 ft/#s somewhere between 700-900 yards...

there is a lot of variables that are going to effect your max effective distance on a critter than the rounds capability. For me personally, i'm confident 600 and in if I have time to prep for the shot... But idk your experience, ability to read wind, ability to make the come up, have you doped out your gun?

Bottom line... I don't want a GOOD shooter shooting at me inside of oh idk 2000 yards with that thing??? if the critter is inside 1k for sure then I would say you have plenty of umph to get it done.

This is my dope chart for the 143eldx leaving the barrel at 2738 FPS. About 750 yards is the 1k ft-pounds threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          sooo did you shoot the ladder test? ooor just roll with it haha
                          No I didn't. Going to adjust seating depth to see if I can improve but haven't had time to get back out.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post

This is my dope chart for the 143eldx leaving the barrel at 2738 FPS. About 750 yards is the 1k ft-pounds threshold.
                            better data than I could find for sure...

Like I said, I have issues with the 1000ft/#s thing... but at least it is SOME kind of a benchmark.

Like I said b4, anything inside 1k is at risk for SURE... But so much other stuff going on at that range the energy is a secondary worry at most

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              No I didn't. Going to adjust seating depth to see if I can improve but haven't had time to get back out.
                              lol I figured. sometime you just get lucky

Comment

Love my CM...it's my go to rifle now for most soon to be dead creatures.

Comment

Working...
                                X