No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally have some moving back on to my property. They have been pretty scarce since the helli shoot. They had them pretty spread out.

Comment

went out today around 3pm and hit the pecan grove by 3:50....halfway in and BAM....huge thunderstorm....not fun at all...lol....needless to say i saw nothing...got soaked to the bone...headed home...will be back out tomorrow morning....

oh and can someone please please tell me what in the world a bloodweed is.....
      Last edited by mayhemsr; 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I went out for about an hour and a half, starting about 9am. Went to Willis Creek. Found one fresh rooting mark (probably from last night) vicinity checkpoint III, other than that, nothing see or heard.

Comment

Bloodweed (also called giant ragweed) makes dense groves of single verticle stalks from 4 to 8 feet tall. It is an annual. The plant dies and the stalks turn light grey over the winter, and are weak and brittle. The stalks break with a loud crack when hunters try and move through them. No thorns. There are impressive thickets of the stuff around gate 6.

Comment

ah ok i know exactly what they are now...ive seen them hundreds of times....lol...never knew their name though..thanks nightstalker....im guessing the hogs dont usually hang out in them when they are brittle like that huh....

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              Those Illinios guys will have hogs soon enough. They have them in Southern Indiana and have for years.
              Yeah, the hogs are moving into surrounding states. Im sure it wont be long before they are here in Illinois demolishing their crops.

Although, with so much food source around here they could grow to be giant like the deer and turkey.

Comment

Yep hogs are moving north from what I hear. Thought they would move faster though.

Comment

There are pockets of them. PA has them. OH has a few. IN has them in the south.

Comment

headed below the dam yesterday afternoon ....didnt see much but deer and a few racoons....lots of fresh sign though after the big rain...

Comment

Originally posted by mayhemsr View Post
                      headed below the dam yesterday afternoon ....didnt see much but deer and a few racoons....lots of fresh sign though after the big rain...
                      Dang..... I thought for sure you'd see something.

Comment

yea I thought I would at least get a glimpse...man that ridge kicked my butt....I went through the briar thicket instead of the slope of rocks...lmao...ill never take a wrong turn again let me say that..lol...over the ridge there are tons of tracks and some fresh signs of rooting...

anyone up for this weekend....????

Comment

Looks like it could be a good saturday morning to head out there. Let me know if anyone decides to go. Might head out after work. get off at 0700 tomorrow.

Comment

heading out sunday morning and evening.....

Comment

Mayhemsr You want to meet up early sunday? What area do you plan to hunt?

Comment

txfirefighter, yea sounds like a plan....i really like below the dam...but you probably been out there more than i have so ill let you choose...what time you wanna meet up .....

crod88, you up to an early sunday as well?
                                Last edited by mayhemsr; 03-28-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X