Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellowfin Tuna - Offshore November / Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoffro, I've had good luck with Charkbait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      I think i remember that lure...... . Good times!!!!!

I still laugh about that[emoji23]
      "That" lure is hanging in my shop and will return

Comment

Geezy. I’ll just tie straight on for you. Buy some flouro of whatever # you want. I’d do 60#-80#

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Geezy. I’ll just tie straight on for you. Buy some flouro of whatever # you want. I’d do 60#-80#
          Good deal Glen, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            He ties good knots Geezy! I still need to learn that one Glen!

Comment

All my diamond jigs came in. These things are in a league I’ve never played with before!

I hung out with an old friend that showed me his tuna rod... just the reel was as big as a cantaloupe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                All my diamond jigs came in. These things are in a league I’ve never played with before!

I hung out with an old friend that showed me his tuna rod... just the reel was as big as a cantaloupe

Thats great! Sometimes the hooks aren't the best on them and will need to be replaced with stronger ones. Hard to believe but they will straighten them or just plain break them! I can't wait to see y'all get going out there!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                  He ties good knots Geezy! I still need to learn that one Glen!
                  We’ll get schooled on the ride out.

Comment

goodie box came in the mail today. Aubrey ordered a bunch of lures that should be in this week also.

Comment

That will save the volleyball size bruise on the gut

Comment

Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Leaders - here's what I do and what I'm using

JAK ASSOCIATES - WindOn Leaders found on EBay. 50lb up to 200lb - depends on the reel and presentation on size.

JAK ASSOCIATES WEB SITE

50lb - 80lb is cast and or jig

100 - 200lb is troll - 30 or 50 class reels

Connection is 27 turn Bimini twist in braid - secured with waterproof Locktight super glue at knot wrap. Two inner locking twists from the wind on leader to mainline for the connection.

Haven't had a single failure knot and or leader on tuna. One casting setup went two trips - same reel, braid and wind-on leader before I replaced it. Caught and decked over 12 tuna from 50 to over 100lbs.

I can tie and rig Bimini's on the ride for those who don't have this connection type dialed in. Just need to buy the mono and or flouro wind-on leaders. They come in 25FT length sizes.

Top shot leaders are 25 to 50 yard sizes. Essentially the same connection but the leader itself is much longer. I run one Avet HX Raptor with a 50 yard top shot - 80lb leader and 80lb braid. I use this for super deep jigging and chunking baits down 300 to 400ft when the tuna are holding super deep. I've hooked Bigeye tuna on this setup fishing super deep as well as a super massive sized squid that pulled off at floater Perdido. The drag on this reel setup goes to 50 lbs on full drag. The 80 to 80 has enough give with stretch to give me the fight desired going straight up and down deep - rod blank is rated 40 - 100lb Calstar Graphite Tuna blank.

These fish fight hard - real hard. Some setup combinations are less harsh with shock on the rod blank during the fight. Others can be rather stiff and or unforgiving as well. The rod becomes a shock absorber of sorts and having some stretch versus no stretch in the line, can offset a soft and or hard rod blank.

Pulling on these fish - you will notice a difference in how soft or hard the rod feels at the rail under a full fight load. Some will beat the snot out of you and others are softer and easier on the back and shoulders. Too soft, you can't lift and turn the tuna's head, too hard - you get beat down and the fish can surge and overpower you due to fatigue - shock felt during hard surges more in the arms and hands.
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-18-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Another thing - having some stranded steel handy - just in case you want to knock off a Jurassic sized Barracuda off the old fish species bucket list, is a must.

They fry up perfect for fish tacos!

Comment

Working stupid hours right now. And thinking of TUNA!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                                Working stupid hours right now. And thinking of TUNA!

You are gonna love this trip!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X