No announcement yet.

3/4 ton gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is avg costs for a diesel in any given year?

Comment

Anybody have a 2017/2018 F250 with the 6.2? What kind of mileage are you seeing? I have heard that they have improved them from previous years. My 2011 work truck averaged about 10.5 mpg. A friend of mine just bought one, but he has only drove it pulling his boat. He said he got 12 mpg towing the boat.

Comment

1989 GMC 2500 with factory rated 205HP 350ic and a 5sp standard. 5sp was replaced once. Was getting 18.? mpg when I bought it at 150k miles (one owner). Has 276K on it now. Motor never been rebuilt. Getting about 15mpg now. Dose leak a little out of the rear main while at high speed. But the truck was not really built to exceed a certain speed limit when it was built (remember the speed limit in '89?). So it dose not like to run much above 68. But can do more. I've pulled various trailers and autos on trailers with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
          Anybody have a 2017/2018 F250 with the 6.2? What kind of mileage are you seeing? I have heard that they have improved them from previous years. My 2011 work truck averaged about 10.5 mpg. A friend of mine just bought one, but he has only drove it pulling his boat. He said he got 12 mpg towing the boat.

I bought a f250 gasser right before spring break. I'm getting 15 on the highway running 70 and 12 in town.
          I traded a problematic 2015 6.7 and very happy with my choice. There is no comparison in the power but the 6.2 is plenty for my needs.

The ride in the 2017 vs my 2015 is night and day. Much more room and way more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thought long and hard when I bought a 10 ram gasser 4x4 Running hwy 17 town 14. 11mpg towing 5-9k. Diesels are built for towing and do a good job although i am happy with the performance.
            One thing that i have noticed is this gasser will float across the pasture. Not as heavy in the front as a diesel. To me that was important. Seen diesels following me in and they stuck.

Comment

I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. I also had a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine but needed more payload because I haul a truck camper. I absolutely love the 6.2 engine and average 12.5 MPG's combined towing/hauling, city and highway.

The payload on my F250 was 2490 lbs and the payload on my F350 is 4226 lbs. The only reason I bring this up is because if you plan on hauling more weight, the price difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton is very little. Also, I have good things about the new transmission in the F250 for 2017 and beyond but with the F350 you get the heavier transmission.

It really depends what you are going to do with the truck but my experience is has been very good. I will also say that at least where I live here in the rocky mountains, over the past couple of years you are seeing a lot more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with the gas engines on the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                For pulling, a manual tranny is always better for sure. You can put way more miles on it if you pull alot vs. an auto.

Really need to watch that trans temp with the autos.

Maybe many years ago in a galaxy far away.......

Auto trans is the way to go now. Currently Ram is the only manufacturer offering a manual trans available. And in the diesel they lower the hp/TQ (a lot) because the clutch won’t hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Wayno View Post
                  I have a ‘04 F250 V10. The best mileage I have ever gotten is 12.5. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with it and had no problems other than having to stop at every other station for gas. I have never checked the mileage pulling a load, but I would bet it is around 6-7.

That being said, the normal maintenance costs of the gas engine is so much less than the diesel that I couldn’t justify it.

Please explain what maintenance is so much more expensive on a diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Please explain what maintenance is so much more expensive on a diesel.

Oil change for starters.

Comment

I have had every type Chevrolet truck made since the mid 1990's , I really have to say the 6.0 3/4 ton is probably perfect for my use , however I did enjoy having my 2005 duramax (pre DEF) it was chipped and a beast!! Butthe new diesel trucks are just way to complicated now ! if GMC still put a vortec 8.1 in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks again !!M oh what a total beast

Comment

Originally posted by Wayno View Post
                        Oil change for starters.
                        It’s costs me 87 dollars to change my oil every 8,000 miles at the Chevy dealership for my duramax, my gasser would cost me 40-50 and only last 3,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                          It’s costs me 87 dollars to change my oil every 8,000 miles at the Chevy dealership for my duramax, my gasser would cost me 40-50 and only last 3,000 miles
                          The oil change argument is non valid. Diesels go way longer in between oil changes so you aren't spending as much. Also instead of running out buying a new gasser it would be cheaper and better purchase to buy a used diesel. Get the price point you want an overall durability. You can pick up a nice used diesel for 20k that is recent and is cheaper than a 30k + gasser.

Comment

I love my 13' f250 cc 4x4 LWB 6.2 gasser. I came from driving diesels starting with the 6.9 IDI's. I have no regrets at all going back to gas. My F250 will pull everything that I want. Heck I have overloaded it and so for so good. When I bought mine in 13 there was a 10-11k difference in price on the XL model work trucks. Then you got figure in the finance charges on that 10-11k upcharge for the diesel. To me there is no way it made dollars and cents to me. Plus these gassers are putting out the torque that the late 90 to 2000 diesels did. The gassers are no slouch by any means. I just turned 100k and truck still runs like a beast, no emission problems, no deletes are any of that mess, Just jump in and go. FOr the 10k upcharge along with the finance charges that would come along with that, a person could buy and new Nissan Versa for 2nd vehicle and get 40 mpg.
                            Its really to bad that the regulations have screwed up the diesel trucks the way they have

Comment

I have a 2012 F250 gasser. While it can pull everything I need it to, it takes a whole lot longer to get up to speed than my dads 2012 F250 diesel. When loaded down, I dread every on ramp I encounter and it feels like I am having to stop at every gas station to fill up. I will be towing a lot more in the future so my next truck is a diesel.

Comment

My current truck is a 17 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Probably my favorite engine I've owned so far, and I have had a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X