Canon 7D MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 7D MkII

Held one at Bestbuy today. Nice camera and the 10 fps v the 7 fps on the 70D is very apparent but that is the only reason I could see for upgrading to one. I like to have the articulating screen available if needed and the touch screen on the 70D really spoils you. Nice camera but I'm glad I've bought two bodies this year and the phrase "out of the question" is currently part of my vocabulary.

We will have to see what a new year brings.

The 7DII is truly a ground-breaking intermediate level body. I'm sure I'll own one when I can get a clean used one for under $1K. That should be about 2-3 years from now. Until then, my 7D is still better than I am. ha, ha.

Comment

John have you compared the two bodies to see if there is alot of difference?

Comment

Just on paper. I've got a few friends who are on a wait list for a 7DII but haven't received theirs yet. I cannot justify the expense and will be happy to wait.

Just like golf clubs, I'm always 5 years behind. ha, ha.

Comment

What do you like on paper that makes the Mk II better?

Comment

10 frames/sec vs. 8 for the 7D. Dual Digic 6 processors that should improve IQ and make it write to the card much faster, which means longer bursts even at 10 FPS. More AF points. AF at F8, meaning you could use a 400 5.6L with a 1.4x converter and keep the fast autofocus - something I'd definitely want to try.

Probably my favorite feature though is the fact that it will carry TWO memory cards (an SD and a CF) like the 1D pro series. That's just awesome. When I was playing with my 1D3, I had it writing raw to one and jpeg's to the other.

Here's a table of all the digital EOS specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...igital_cameras

Comment

John thanks. I was impressed how fast the shutter worked with the 10 fps. Makes my 70D 7 fps seem slow. May have to look at selling the 60D next year to help fund one.

Comment

I don't think that would be a mistake if you plan to shoot birds. IMO the 7DII is the ultimate bird body. I would imagine a lot of pros will be shooting them. I know one pro who has already switched from having a 7D as his backup to a 7DII as his primary over his 1D4.

I know I was awful tempted by the 10 FPS on that 1D3. It's just awe inspiring to hear that motor run at that speed. It made my 6.3 FPS 50D seem ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                  I don't think that would be a mistake if you plan to shoot birds. IMO the 7DII is the ultimate bird body. I would imagine a lot of pros will be shooting them. I know one pro who has already switched from having a 7D as his backup to a 7DII as his primary over his 1D4.

I know I was awful tempted by the 10 FPS on that 1D3. It's just awe inspiring to hear that motor run at that speed. It made my 6.3 FPS 50D seem ancient.
                  I'm pretty sure this will be my next body since I can't justify 10 fps in FF ($$). While I like the touch screen of the 70D for making quick adjustments I'm willing to give that up for the 10 fps (3 more than the 70D) and I don't use the wifi as much as I thought I might. Might have a gently used 60D for sale in the spring.

Comment

Gotta love B&H one day shipping.

Comment

Kewl.

Comment

What do you think would be the best lens for everyday shooting, i.e. birthday parties, family get together.... one that would be used as a primary lens, (but also having a 150-600 to use for wildlife photos), for 7D markII?
                        Last edited by txbassnaholic; 01-27-2015, 08:49 AM. Reason: add to post

Comment

I originally had a 17-40L as my everyday "walk around" for my 50D and later 7D, but found the 17 was just not "quite" wide enough for what I wanted to do, so I sold it and bought a 15-85 IS instead. I'm very happy with that decision. I had heard the image quality of the 15-85 was superb, and in some ways even better than the 17-40L. Now I believe it. I don't feel I've given up anything in IQ, but I gained the image stabilization and significant range.

Those two mm don't sound like much on the wide end, but it's basically the difference between a 24mm and a 28mm lens equivalent on a full frame. I used my 24mm lens a lot when I shot film.

IMO, that 15-85 IS is the ultimate crop body walk-around lens for Canon.

Sharpness is just outstanding. Here's a quick snapshot I took with it of a beetle that had been impaled on a fence barb by a Loggerhead Shrike. Handheld. I just turned the camera on, walked over and snapped this photo in about 20 seconds without so much as a thought.

If you follow the image to the flickr page and then zoom in, you can see just how much detail that lens was able to resolve.

shrikebait by johnmagera, on Flickr

John
                          Last edited by Limbwalker; 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                            Gotta love B&H one day shipping.
                            So you got one !?! Yay! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

I'll have one eventually. Gotta save some pennies first.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                              X