870 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

870 problems

ok i have two 870's one old magnum and the super mag. the newer one has about 30 rounds through it and the old one well way to many to count. from day one the supermag would not let me break it open to kick out the shell. i had to slam it on the ground to break open the action. so ive been using the old one till i figured out what the problem is. then on a dove hunt last year the new one did it once. idont know if its the shells, or what. i clean my guns religiously. anyone have any ideas or the same problem

Mine will do the same thing if I use the cheep federal ammo

Comment

You may not be coming forward fast enough or had enough with the slide to chamber a new round. My mossberg 500 does this but not as much recently. It also may need to be broken in more.

Comment

Tuned in just bought a Super Mag

Comment

no that aint it. i rack it fast. it aint the closing its getting it to break open after i fire a shot. the newer one has been doing it for awhile. the older one which ive had since i was 13 cant get much more broke in lol. i cant begin to tell you how many roujds i put through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Langston32 View Post
            Mine will do the same thing if I use the cheep federal ammo
            i thought abou tthat too but i aint to sure. the old one never had a problem with anything. and the new one from the get go. unless they are making the cheap round even cheaper

Comment

anyone else have this problem or no how to fix it

Comment

might try polishing the chamber just a little bit, i had to do this with a newer 870, but honestly both my 870's, new and old function better dirty and have some cycling issues right after a good cleaning

Comment

Sounds like the brass is sticking in the chamber. Try taking some medium steel wool and wrapping it around a dowel rod, secure it and chuck the rod into a drill and hone out the barrel chamber slightly.

Comment

if its an EXPRESS Super Mag and not a Wingmaster you may have to polish the twin slide action bars or your extractor arm is bent on the tip broken...if you know how to break down an 870 strip it down and remove the bolt and see if the slide performs without any binding, if it does then the problem lies in the bolt or the extractor arm

Comment

allright ill give it a whirl thanks guys.

Comment

The only time i had this problem was with reloads. Slammed it down and broke the extractor and about three other things so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonbonjovi View Post
                          if its an EXPRESS Super Mag and not a Wingmaster you may have to polish the twin slide action bars or your extractor arm is bent on the tip broken...if you know how to break down an 870 strip it down and remove the bolt and see if the slide performs without any binding, if it does then the problem lies in the bolt or the extractor arm
                          my thinking was whatever lock the bolt forward and unlocks after firing so you can pump it is messed up. but i dont even know where to look for that. is that what ur talkig about. it will extraqct fine once i break itopen. its getting it to release to i can kick out the old round. is that what ur talking baout

Comment

Originally posted by texas_red_19 View Post
                            my thinking was whatever lock the bolt forward and unlocks after firing so you can pump it is messed up. but i dont even know where to look for that. is that what ur talkig about. it will extraqct fine once i break itopen. its getting it to release to i can kick out the old round. is that what ur talking baout
                            If the spent casing is free then my above recommendation isnt the problem. It would probably be the slides or the bars inside the receiver causing it.

Comment

ok

Comment

Working...
                              X