Would you buy land you couldn't use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you buy land you couldn't use?

The wife and I are going to be moving soon and have been looking for small parcels. We found a place that's approximately 14.5 acres, but I don't see a use for anything over an acre on that specific place. Due to location, hunting or farming of any type would not be feasible. Other than the immediate yard around the house and small piece out back, most of it would be fenced off and used for nothing but paying taxes on.

Is bigger always better? If you could afford a smaller parcel and utilize it or a bigger parcel for not a substantial amount more, but most of it unused, would you buy the bigger?
    Last edited by hully1029; 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM.

Why can’t you use it? Is it underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      Why can’t you use it? Is it underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      not underwater. would need substantial clearing to be used for farming, and has got major FM roads on all 4 sides within close range.. so I would assume the hunting wouldn't produce anything.

Comment

I’ve got 55 acres that I don’t really use. It’s all wooded with pine and red oak...I like looking at them. Don’t care about farming it, taxes run about 300 bucks a year

Comment

If it has access from 4 sides could you not divide it up and sell it if you dont want it?

Comment

Buy it and subdivide and sell ranchette lots. Buy more and subdivide and sell more lots.
            Become a tycoon. Easy as pie

Comment

Is it in a good location?

Sounds like it could be a good investment. Put a couple of cows on it to save on the taxes and set back until land values go up.

Comment

A bigger tract of land allows for more distance from neighbors so bigger is better.

Comment

I think the added cost in taxes can be mitigated with an exemptions and such. More land means more space between you and anyone else which is nice piece of mind.

Comment

As long as the taxes aren’t crazy, I’d buy it if I had the money. You might not use it but someone at a later time might want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      A bigger tract of land allows for more distance from neighbors so bigger is better.
                      This.

Fence it with field wire. Then lease it for goat grazing to clean it up and keep out hogs
                      Maybe lease the grazing after that to get ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        This.

Fence it with field wire. Then lease it for goat grazing to clean it up and keep out hogs

Maybe lease the grazing after that to get ag exemption.
                        Good idea. Put some rams in there and a couple stands. They will clean it up and you can sell hunts to pay the taxes with.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
                          As long as the taxes aren’t crazy, I’d buy it if I had the money. You might not use it but someone at a later time might want it.
                          pm sent

Comment

They dont make any more of it buy up all you can i say

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                              Very True especially if neighbors are trash

Comment

Working...
                              X