04 dodge diesel automatic tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

04 dodge diesel automatic tranny?

lets hear the horror storys about the dodge auto trannys behind the 5.9s....

anyone?

Comment

5 torque converters, 2 valve bodies, 3 gov. pressure soenoids, 2 flexplates & tons of other crap. All this in less than 38K miles. Lemon law'd the tranny & won $6,500.

Comment

We have a 98 that was fixed by a noise filter on the alternator, the rebuilt aftermarket and some new stock alternaors are too dirty and interrupt the ecm and pcm, after this filter was installed the truck became as new and has 200k miles on it with a Edge with attitude, big exhaust and air box and marine injectors, my girlfreind drives it hauling horses from Texas to Florida and it will not heat up or slip or miss shift in Houston traffic. Go to Turbodieselregister.com and check out all of the fixes and probs

Comment

what about one with 150k miles? think it might hold up?

Comment

twistedmidnite - Hard to tell without knowing how the previous owner took care of the vehicle. Kept up with scheduled maintenance, whether any modifications had been done, excessive pulling/hotshotting/oilfield rig, whether the transmission had been freshened up at any point.

I'd just go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for problems, hang shifts, leaks, etc. If you can (if it is at a dealership), take it over the weekend and test drive it through the weekend looking/listening for problems.

Comment

Its got bigger injectors and had a programmer on it..

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                Its got bigger injectors and had a programmer on it..
                Then I would decide (if I knew the owner) whether I thought he was hotrodding the truck on a daily basis, did the modifications for towing purposes, or any other reason I could think of. Sometimes people put only programmers on their trucks for fuel mileage reasons (with the added bonus of more power), but the bigger injectors makes me think either a kid owns the truck and was wanting to feed the engine more fuel (so it'd smoke more ), and/or it was hotrodded.

Comment

I had an 04 with the automatic and it was mush at 50K miles, traded it for a 6 speed!!!!

Comment

Just get a Ford so you can sleep at night.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                      what about one with 150k miles? think it might hold up?
                      Just saw that you mentioned the mod's, with that kind of mileage he either had the tranny built or it will need replacing, depending on how he drove it with the mod's!!!!

Comment

I have a 04 diesel. Have not had any problems with tranny. It has 144,000 miles

Comment

I have a 03 with a automatic and just a touch over 300,000 miles and I have never had any problems I guess im lucky. I have 4 gn trailers from 40'-20' and im usually pulling one

Comment

04 127,000 miles 0 problems, for sale btw

Comment

My '01 bit the dust at about 120,000. Had it rebuilt and beefed up by a member of my extended family for 1800 bucks. have 20,000 on it and havent had any problems yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X